Honored Contributor

Re: Vintage Items Worth $$$$

@Sooner  I wonder why there are so many vintage malls.They aren't called antique malls so I figured the word vintage is what attracted people. I take it that some of this stuff isn't worth much.

Respected Contributor

It is funny what is valuable vintage.  My dear friend made several thousand dollars last year selling vintage pyrex pieces on Ebay that she finds at tag sales.

Some colors sell for hundreds of dollars a piece.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My son is a musician/artist and he's always had a good eye for interesting things. Years ago, an elderly neighbor of ours passed away and his family arrived to clean out the house.  My eight year old son came walking home with the exact set of luggage pictured in the OP.. he and his friend could barely carry it.  He said he thought I'd like it and he was right.  I loved it.  When he and his girlfriend were here in October I told him to take it home with them.  She was thrilled. I guess I have to let them know that it might be valuable!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

We had a typewriter, luggage, and ornaments like that. My mom had a black Singer sewing machine, but it wasn’t in a case like the one you posted.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Sooner  I wonder why there are so many vintage malls.They aren't called antique malls so I figured the word vintage is what attracted people. I take it that some of this stuff isn't worth much.

@AuntG   I wonder that also.  I also think maybe they will be declining in popularity in the not-too-distant future.  Most in Oklahoma just have 40's, 50's and 60's "junk" not many real antiques.  OK just became a state in 1907, and not many brought fine furniture in covered wagons. . . 

Also, in every small town there are one or more stores that sell antique mall stuff, some clothing items, and new made in China stuff like worn looking signs with sayings on them, candles, purses, costume jewelry, bath stuff etc.  Is that a big thing where you live?  I've wondered about it if it is mostly a southwest thing.    They all look just alike and all say how "unique" they are!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I have a few vintage items, but right now I want to keep them.

Sad to say, I suspect if I sold all of them, my profit wouldn't be enough to pay for a day in the assisted living facility I'll probably find myself in one day.

Might be enough for a Broadway show though!

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner I've been doing the same.  As I get older and my family passes on I find I'm moving more stuff here that I don't want.  Sisters don't want to rid the family of it so I cave. One won't put it in her "mansion" and the other's home is too small.  

I'm getting it all out now so I can live my life clutter free. A few pieces here and there as remembrances and the rest goes to SA or BB/BS or another charity.  I don't have time to list on the bay or  c. list etc, and have no patience for standing in line at the PO etc to get it mailed.  I've done the yard sale thing, the last one was the last one.  Ugh.  

I've an attic full of antique christmas ornaments and couldn't give away the typewriter so off in the trash it went.  Same with the old luggage.  I do have lots of mason jars but i use them both decoratively and I do some canning too. (not in the old ones)