Respected Contributor

Vertical Blinds Alternative s

Having 3 sets of glass sliding doors, I have enjoyed verticals for over 30 years.  Although doors protect against sun bleaching, I find being able to control amount of opening and direction of light helpful.  I need to have coverage because common ground next to property and walkers any time of day.  

Saw an article that indicated verticals way out of style.  What are the options?  How do you cover glass doors?

Honored Contributor

Re: Vertical Blinds Alternative s

[ Edited ]

How can verticals be out of style?? They are a classic type of window covering. What brings them up to date is the materials used to make them and the size of each louver.

I like panel verticals, however, you can only open them or close them with no light adjustment. But they look clean. 

These are panel vertical blinds:

46-colors-available-bali-panel-track-blinds-507664-64_400_compressed.jpg

Honored Contributor

Verticals are passe but there isn't much to replace them.  I have the slider with the miniblinds between the two panes of glass. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

At our beach condo, a unit across the street has plantation shutters over them. They are beautiful.  

Respected Contributor

Google coverings for sliding glass doors. There are many pictures and choices. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have 2 sliding glass doors in our town home (kitchen and master bedroom). We bought sliding doors with the mini horizontal blinds that are built inside the glass doors. One of the best purchases we made! There are a number of brands that make this design - we bought ours from Lowes, but I think Pella and Anderson also make them.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 @I agree, easiest to care for. I have the Pella.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have same problem and I did buy grommet drapes but I like to control the light coming in.  They look nice but aren't practical.

I have appointment with our local blind company who did all the blinds throughout my house for ideas.  Verticals have come a long way -- I love the "Luminette Privacy Sheer/Verticals" style by Hunter Douglas (online you can see better).  

They are costly as my  sliders are my full dining room wall -- so I'm interested to see what the cost...I hope I don't have "heart attack" ...🙄🙄🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

67280FBD-2D72-410A-AB5B-7A6EE828858F.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick wrote:

At our beach condo, a unit across the street has plantation shutters over them. They are beautiful.  

@bmorechick 

That's what I have but they are not cheap and little toddlers like to play with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom    May I suggest you look at the: hunter douglas . com  (combine into one word)   They have many many suggestions for sliding glass doors.  Some are quite interesting and different, while offering lots of choices of fabrics and widths for verticals.  This site will give you an idea of whats out in the marketplace.   A lot depends on the placement and size of your doors.  There is a lot of good information.