Respected Contributor

Re: Vertical Blinds Alternative s

@Nonametoday wrote:

@bmorechick wrote:

At our beach condo, a unit across the street has plantation shutters over them. They are beautiful.  

@bmorechick 

That's what I have but they are not cheap and little toddlers like to play with them.

Oh yeah I pretty much figured it was an investment. I have sliders off my kitchen at home. Used to have curtains up, but really didnt like them so I took them down. So there's nothing there now. My back yard is about 1/2 acre so the house behind me is far enough away. They dont have anything up either and we see folks moving around but we have gotten so used to it no one pays attention. 

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 

We replaced doors probably 20 years ago and the quality is so good I don't want to replace.  I enjoy the open feeling.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely love vertical blinds. Curtains aren't for me. They catch dust & require to much maintenance.I just dust my verticals & wipe them down periodically.

I have yet to find an alternative I like.I'm not usually a trend person. I know what I like & stick with it.
  I also have a friend who just remodeled her house & she put verticals in every room. I love them. They open & close by remote control. I'm jealous because I have to open & close mine manually.Lol!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I absolutely love vertical blinds. Curtains aren't for me. They catch dust & require to much maintenance.I just dust my verticals & wipe them down periodically.

I have yet to find an alternative I like.I'm not usually a trend person. I know what I like & stick with it.
  I also have a friend who just remodeled her house & she put verticals in every room. I love them. They open & close by remote control. I'm jealous because I have to open & close mine manually.Lol!!

I agree.  Out of date or not, these are still my best option.

Valued Contributor

We have Hunter Douglas Silhouettes covering our sliding glass door and have been very happy with that choice.

Honored Contributor

My mother replaced all of her verticals with plantation shutters even on her sliding glass doors.  I like the look of them more than verticals and you can still adjust the light.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm curious, who decided verticals are out of date? Was it one person? Was it a committee? I appreciate that companies are always looking to add variety to their product line to give consumers more options but verticals are still available.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ  ... I’m with you .... I like the vertices 🥰

Respected Contributor

Wow - I have verticals everywhere including two sliding glass doors.  

I hate curtains - just can't be bothered with the maintenance.  

I have polished brass fixtures too - guess I'm just hopelessly out of style.

Yes who decides these things and who wants to pay for updating your whole house?

Not to mentiion if you like what you already have.

Regular Contributor

Love, love, love my plantation shutters.  Did the sliding glass door and the two windows in the kitchen.  Can control the light and dust with a swifter.  They are the best.