Regular Contributor

I'm not really sure what my opinion is of all of the new thihgs listed on Valerie Parhill's QVC page.  There are nine different upholstered side chairs shown and nine different accents pieces in wicker.  The furniture and wicker range in price from $165 to $500.  I love Valerie's home decorating and seasonal items.  I have had somethings for years.  I love being able to add new things each year.  However, when it comes to furniture,  I like to see it in person, touch the uphostery, sit in a chair (since I have short legs), and get a good idea of proportion and scale.  I would be very uncomfortable buying furniture.  The thought of going through the hassle and expense of returning a piece of furniture isn't very appealing.  I consider that an investment purchase that should be thoughtfully considered.  Am I wrong?

Trusted Contributor

I don't think you're wrong at all.  I was so excited to see the number of new arrivals up from 25 (or something close to that)to 33 ~ then I saw it was all furniture.  Like you, I have lots of Valerie's things from many years ago.  I love the seasonal items as well, and was disappointed in her last show especially.  I heard her say that the foiled egg garland would be the only Easter garland offered.  While I thought it was pretty, the colors aren't what I am decorating with this year.  Oh, well.  She is scheduled to be on next week so here's hoping there will be some nice new decorative items offered!

Regular Contributor

Re: Valerie's New Items

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming there are going to be more practical things listed in the next few days. Some fans ask about the furniture on set but I don't see people kicking out $200 or more on stuff like chairs. Valerie knows this too because one time a caller asked about her hexagonal mirror and all she said was that it was available online not wanting to say it was $300-$400 for it. There are still Christmas trees of hers in stock from a few years ago that were and are still in the $600 range.

I have no need for furniture and the wicker stuff whether living room or patio is a no go for me. I detest the thought of getting splinters. This stuff isn't exactly safe for pets either.

Valerie is scheduled for 3 shows two days in a row. At least two of them that I remember are 2 hour shows. There has to be more stuff coming in. There is no way she will be able to fill those shows with baskets, chairs and ottomans. Well maybe if she sells all her spheres..................

Valued Contributor

I totally agree......and was so disappointed to see all the furniture items.   I love Valerie's decor items, but have no interest in buying furniture.

Honored Contributor

Certain items, like an accent table or a small chair that is more to fill a space than to sit on for comfort, can be big sellers online or off of a TV presentation, but a truly to be used piece of upholstered furniture (especially) isn't something to be buying online, in my opinion. 

You can't be sure of the quality the 'fit' or the feel of the fabric. 

I've always wondered how sites like Wayfair and Overstock, that sell a lot of what I call 'trendy' furniture move that stuff. I can't imagine loading my house up with stuff I'd never laid hands (or backside!!) on in person!

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

I heard her say that the foiled egg garland would be the only Easter garland offered.  While I thought it was pretty, the colors aren't what I am decorating with this year. 

I didn't care for the colors either - all pink and baby blue, with foil and mercury glass.  Looked too much like a baby shower.

As for the OP. I agree - why would you buy furniture online without being able to try it out first?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valerie's New Items

[ Edited ]

QVC adds furniture items like these every now and then.  One thing I notice is that the item numbers are always higher than the item numbers for the items Valerie actually presents on air.  I think they are pieces not stocked by QVC at all, but are just added to the site hoping to tempt someone into buying them. 

I am glad that some of the larger decorative mirrors are starting to be made available for those who see them on set and ask about them, but talk about sticker shock!