Occasional Contributor

Thank you for this post.  I, too, find these shows calming and a much needed oasis from the larger cares of the day.  Some days I'm a buyer and some days I'm a watcher, but I always get inspired to try something new with what I have.  It's nice to just sit down, relax, and have beautiful things roll across the TV screen for a while. I'm glad others find this soothing as well.

Honored Contributor

Valerie Parr Hill's shows is one of the very FEW QVC shows I watch and even enjoy these days.....

I like her paired best with Jayne Brown.  I find Valerie's personality very pleasant, calming, and fun. Sometimes I watch just for the inspirational decorating ideas, while other times I do end up purchasing something new and unique that she offers....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I'm a "recreational" Valerie and Jayne watcher too! Unfortunately, I miss a lot of their shows, since not watching that much. Rarely purchase these days, but who cares?   Valerie always brings grace and serenity, and Jayne is fun and has good ideas.

I love Valerie combined with two of the slightly more "mischievous" and funny hosts, Jayne and Rick....

--------------

Totally agree with your statements!!!  I enjoy her shows and I always watch the entire show.  (Hardly ever watch an entire Q show)  I don't purchase much - because I already have so much - but love seeing the different decor ideas.

I like Valerie hosting from her home....though the products can be a bit jam packed.  She is just so at ease presenting.....

Honored Contributor

Interesting.  I didn't know VPH owned the company.  I thought she worked for QVC - i.e., she may steer Q's buyers and does the on-air presentations.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Interesting.  I didn't know VPH owned the company.  I thought she worked for QVC - i.e., she may steer Q's buyers and does the on-air presentations.

@ValuSkr   You can google The Valerie Parr Hill Co. Montville NJ and find out about it. Tells when it was established, how many employees, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill

[ Edited ]

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

She just sells the items. She doesn't design them. I think her line has gone downhill for years. Everything looks cheap and could be found in bargain bins in stores like Kohls and Michaels. 

@Tinkerbell3  Hey, not to worry about the guff... I fully understand your point of view even if I might have stated it a little more gently... I've seen her prices increasingly go stratospheric, especially given what she offers, and I've also seen an increasing level of kitsch creep into her merchandise... Moreover, her ideas tend to be redundant, with slight varitions on the same themes being offered over and over again... I'm not buying much in the seasonal home decor realm any more, but when I want to scope it out and possibly pick up a little something, I do better at Home Goods... No matter what she might say about designing her items, I've seen many similar items sold elsewhere under different names, which leads one to think that maybe some of them are wholesale items tweaked for individual retailers... Nothing wrong with that, but then don't try to make it sound like they're all 'unique'... As for Val, it's hard not to like her, but I have to admit I do find her very soft-spoken and calming delivery sometimes borders on the somber and sometimes seems, shall we say, forced...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I enjoy watching Valerie. I think she is a genuine person, and pretty much what you see on QVC is what she is in real life. 

I have purchased many things from her line over the years. I do think the over all quality has diminished over the years, but honestly, what line hasn't? Prices are up as well, but again, where are they not?

I love to get ideas from Valerie, but I feel the style she was so famous for, a more traditional elegance, is all but gone from her collection these days. 

Lots of mercury glass, used to be the spheres, now it's the cylinders with micro lights. Much more whimsy than in the past as well. 

I find very little in her line that interests me anymore. A combination of the changes in her line, and the fact that I have way too much home decor that I already love. 

Regular Contributor

I have never had any problem with VPH's products.  I bought an angel from QVC last year and it is so beautifiul.  Just got the lanterns that were shown as a TSV last weekend.  I love watching her and she is so creative.  About the negative comments, yes.  Valerie does own the company, but she comes up with so many great ideas for decorating and it is so enjoyable to watch her when she is on air at QVC.  Her voice is so soothing and she literally takes her time explaining what she is presenting.  I love her products.  So unique and unusual.  

Regular Contributor

I hate the mercury glass and the mercury ornaments.  I only collect old Enesco ornaments that are no longer available except through Esty.  Can someone explain what Mercury glass is?  It reminds me of very ugly and fragile ornatments that we used when I was decorating a Christmas tree when I was about 8 years old. The old adage of what is old is now new again.  

Valued Contributor

@stevieb 

How phony and "gracious" of you to agree with this unnecessarily nasty comment by Luvmycats!