Valued Contributor

I didn’t like much on Valerie’s set this past weekend.  I preferred her 8/25 show when she had the swans and the Juniper Berry wreaths and garland.  I ordered a lot that weekend. I still think she offers the prettiest garlands and wreaths, different than what you find at the craft stores.  I’m not seeing any of the juniper pieces in “as is” (unfortunately).  I’m still hoping to get some of the pics that sold out.  

Honored Contributor
I would agree with what most here are saying. Nothing is unique or different than what you can find everywhere. Too much glitter, battery operated, mercury glass everything. AND, we have all bought so much in previous years we really have no more space to store or display more. Quality has also gone down, with more returns than ever before, from what I am reading here on the boards. I have not watched any of the programming this year.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I agree.... nothing this year is very appealing and really it’s a relief to me, to not be tempted to buy. Whew ! 😉

Trusted Contributor

I don't think Valerie's things are "cheap" or gaudy.  However, I don't like everything she has.  Just like anything, there are some things that appeal to me and some that don't.  I don't think I have made a purchase from her since last year, which is fine with me.  Now that I have a Hobby Lobby where I live, I must admit that I can find similar things for much cheaper.

That being said, there are things that she has had on this year that I have absolutely loved and wanted.  They just aren't at the top of my "buy" list right now.  I'm eyeing other things more.

I enjoy seeing everyone post pics of their VPH purchases.  They make them look beautiful in their home.  Nothing cheap or gaudy about that!

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I feel there has been a real downfall in the style and quality of VPH products overall in the last several years. 

I still see things that are pretty, but it seems she is doing way more whimsical and too much mercury glass and lighted pieces to suit my taste. 

I'm guessing that it is getting harder and harder  to bring nice things in the price range that QVC thinks their customers will buy. 

@Mominohio is right, I have also noticed the downward trend in the style and quality of Valerie’s offerings. When looking for seasonal decor items online and in stores, I have also noticed the same trend across the board everywhere I look, not just the Q. 

I think the competition amongst the retailers for seasonal decor $$ is fierce and everyone is trying to keep the price point low enough to outsell the competitors. Lower price points unfortunately result in lower quality and the bar gets lowered. 

My pet peeve is when a decorating trend runs amok. Throw a little glitter on a few decor items, they sell well and then next thing you know, every piece in every store is drenched in glitter and the variety of offerings suffers.

For example, the farmhouse decorating style is a great look but then it becomes so popular that every retailer jumps on the bandwagon and offers more things at lower prices and lower quality to compete and it just starts to become kitschy. Retail just seems to take a trend and beat it to death. 

@Maltichonmom17

Amen! Well said and oh so true.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill

[ Edited ]

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I feel there has been a real downfall in the style and quality of VPH products overall in the last several years. 

I still see things that are pretty, but it seems she is doing way more whimsical and too much mercury glass and lighted pieces to suit my taste. 

I'm guessing that it is getting harder and harder  to bring nice things in the price range that QVC thinks their customers will buy. 

@Mominohio is right, I have also noticed the downward trend in the style and quality of Valerie’s offerings. When looking for seasonal decor items online and in stores, I have also noticed the same trend across the board everywhere I look, not just the Q. 

I think the competition amongst the retailers for seasonal decor $$ is fierce and everyone is trying to keep the price point low enough to outsell the competitors. Lower price points unfortunately result in lower quality and the bar gets lowered. 

My pet peeve is when a decorating trend runs amok. Throw a little glitter on a few decor items, they sell well and then next thing you know, every piece in every store is drenched in glitter and the variety of offerings suffers.

For example, the farmhouse decorating style is a great look but then it becomes so popular that every retailer jumps on the bandwagon and offers more things at lower prices and lower quality to compete and it just starts to become kitschy. Retail just seems to take a trend and beat it to death. 

Take a look at Target...Omg they have great Christmas decor..(if you use their Target card you also get 5% off and free shipping!) I have several things in my hearted list...will order some things next month when they're available. The prices are good! This month I spent too much on their Prologue line..it was discounted 20% off the first week it was shown..love the things I got from them! I saw several things I liked in Val's collection..but I felt they were too $$$. I've been collecting from her since she first started. I bought her illuminated harvest hurricane w/the candle ring..its lovely and it was on sale~ Q has alot of online competition these days...!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

For me to buy any decor from QVC it has to be really cute or unique. The last VPH item I bought was about 3 years ago - a porcelain sleigh that lights & is exceptionally pretty and the melting snowmen, which are cute and unique.Since then I haven't seen any VPH item I felt was worth the $.

Regular Contributor

Just in the last few years have I bought VPH items and have loved each item. Many of her items  are not my style; however, I definitely would not call them junk. Each item I have received was of great quality.

Everyone has their own style and if hers isn't yours, that is fine; but to call her things junk, in my opinion is a stretch.

Honored Contributor

I ordered that red metal truck that everyone was raving about, hope it's as good as they say.

Super Contributor

The last item I purchased from Valerie was a set of three Easter chicks.

When they arrived, the heads had come off-maybe because the chicks were made out of styrofoam  and the heads were attached with toothpicks. 

I didn't send them back.Once they had their heads on, they were quite cute.

But don't kid yourself.  Valerie does sell cheap junk.