Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill what happened to quality?

@bluetail fly wrote:

@RedTop wrote:
One order was all it took for me to say never again.

I understand that viewpoint. I feel exactly that way about restaurants.  

@bluetail fly   I agree re restaurants, so many I didn't like, and when I would find a wonderful one, it closed not long afterward.

Respected Contributor

Many of the items that she brought to QVC when she first became a vendor were very nice.    Over the years I've noticed how many of her items were cheaply constructed and how different they looked in person then they did on TV.    I also dislike how much glitter is on so many of her items.  In my opinion, that glittery look makes an item appear cheap  and that glitter seems to migrate to every surface in your home.

One of the current items available #H222130 looks very nice and I am tempted to purchase it but I'm afraid once I get it home it won't look as nice as it does in the picture.

It also gets expensive when you have to return an item because it looks so bad that you just can't bear to display it.     A few times I've just donated the item instead because it becomes a pain to return it.   

There are so many stores available in my area where I can physically see the item and know immediately if it is well made.   

My shopping with QVC has greatly decreased and I seldom even watch the live presentations.  I just come to this forum and get reviews on any item I might be interested in purchasing.  

Respected Contributor

Years ago Valerie would bring such cute items to the Q that you couldn't find anywhere else. But, now I can find the items that she sells in local stores. TJMax, Marshalls, Home Goods etc. Her items are not unique any more. I've  stopped watching her shows because  she is now selling items that  aren't worth the money. Too bad because she is such a lovely person.But, I can't see her staying on very long with these poor quality items.

Valued Contributor

@Wobin   Why would you return and reorder for a third time?  I would return them as defective and never order anything of hers again.

At this point it's not costing me to exchange and I really liked the first set of trees.  If I return and not exchange I'll be out that original shipping charge.  I do plan to call Customer Service if the next one doesn't work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wobin wrote:

@Wobin   Why would you return and reorder for a third time?  I would return them as defective and never order anything of hers again.

At this point it's not costing me to exchange and I really liked the first set of trees.  If I return and not exchange I'll be out that original shipping charge.  I do plan to call Customer Service if the next one doesn't work.

@Wobin   You won't be out any shipping if the item is defective.  I once returned something for a replacement three times, and on the last try, the item was fine.

Honored Contributor

I didn't buy much this season, but what I did buy I noticed is not the quality her items once were. I bought everything on clearance and Free S&H. I'm satisfied with my purchases, but I feel like I had nothing to lose by purchasing. I could return them as defective if they were or exchange or return them if I didn't like them. I don't mind returning a product that isn't what I expected. It costs me more than 6.95 to drive to the mall.

Honored Contributor

Many have stated the reasons VPH has been so popular over the years and in the end, her products were unique, well made and beautiful. My mother and my aunties, friends and colleagues all have VPH items in their home and no complaints.

Then it changed. For me, it was the large, wrought iron wall pieces I ordered that were so defective it wasn't funny (I wrote about it here). Then a lantern that tipped over when you placed it on a table that was obviously defective. Flower pieces that looked like junk. I mean...why would anyone want to pay alot of money for junk? Maybe because on air, they make it look so good. I stopped after that. I may watch a show for decorating ideas but all I need is to look at my account and see the number of VPH returns to remind me of the poor quality. Her items were always from China, so I can't use that as an excuse. Greed? Changed factories? Doesn't care anymore? Who knows but her products aren't what they used to be. Shame.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

the quality went downhill about 5 years ago. The older items I have are all great - I have a huge wrought iron and glass piece that I treasure. But in the past 5 years most everything I bought had a paint smear, was crooked, etc. - looked like dollar store items with a much higher price. I don't bother much anymore with her items. I certainly would be afraid to gift them and what she calls "mercury glass" isn't mercury glass at all.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

I have several things in my home from Valerie Parr Hill including a lamp, her wire chicken coops and some Christmas items.  This fall I purchased H213106 Set of 3 Illuminated Mercury Glass Christmas Trees which were so cute.  I gave them away to friends and decided to order a set for myself.  The first replacement set had to be returned because 2 of the lighted trees didn't work.  I received the 2nd replacement set today and it seemed obvious by all the tape on the box this was a set that had been returned.  I put in fresh batteries and 1 of the trees didn't work.  So annoying to have to return again and hope the next set will work.  I put a note inside marking the defective light in hopes they won't send this set out to someone else.  How many times will QVC keep sending out faulty items?

@Wobin 

I would share your story on her Facebook Page.....She usually responds to comments.... And Id call QVC to make sure you didnt get charged for return postage since this was someone else's return....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Wobin wrote:

I have several things in my home from Valerie Parr Hill including a lamp, her wire chicken coops and some Christmas items.  This fall I purchased H213106 Set of 3 Illuminated Mercury Glass Christmas Trees which were so cute.  I gave them away to friends and decided to order a set for myself.  The first replacement set had to be returned because 2 of the lighted trees didn't work.  I received the 2nd replacement set today and it seemed obvious by all the tape on the box this was a set that had been returned.  I put in fresh batteries and 1 of the trees didn't work.  So annoying to have to return again and hope the next set will work.  I put a note inside marking the defective light in hopes they won't send this set out to someone else.  How many times will QVC keep sending out faulty items?

@Wobin 

I would share your story on her Facebook Page.....She usually responds to comments.... And Id call QVC to make sure you didnt get charged for return postage since this was someone else's return....

I did this regarding the issue with the wall gates (went through 3 orders of 2 each; ALL 6 were obviously defective and came from the factory that way). What happened? She (or whomever handles her FB page) REMOVED my post BOTH times I posted it. Same thing happened on the QVC review section; they were up for 24 hours and then "poof". 

That tells you quite a bit.