Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill what happened to quality?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Foxxee.  Not everything made in China is cheap junk.  We get nice clothing and electronics, for instance.   Stuff like Valerie sells is made cheap to sell cheap.  I don't know why people keep buying it.

@Kachina624 

C'mon you know why!!! Her studio sets are beautiful & of course, I love her things when I see them during presentations...BUT then the reality sinks in when you get a dud☹️.

It's the same when Temptations first came to Q -- quality stoneware.  Now like everything no matter where manufactured it's hit or miss! 

I prefer to not make Q richer on poor mass produced overpriced items anymore!

I see same "poor quality" of merchandise  in traditional stores at least I can see it before buying!

Honored Contributor

My VPH items have been fine (some are excellent). I don't like buying all the batteries so my purchases are limited.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Foxxee.  Not everything made in China is cheap junk.  We get nice clothing and electronics, for instance.   Stuff like Valerie sells is made cheap to sell cheap.  I don't know why people keep buying it.

@Kachina624 

From experience I learned not to trust anything made in this country regardless of the price.  Not everything all the time is bad, but enough of it is.

I wouldn't buy most of Valerie's products, but I've also had problems with Made In China Martha Stewart products that were not cheap.  $100-150 is not all that cheap for a decorative item.  

It isn't always about price with China.  Many of their manufacturers lack quality control.

China has been known for a long time for low quality manufacturing.  It isn't only at QVC.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is a hit or miss.......I bought 2 of her deer and they are gorgeous...I still have them out!

I bought a pair of her gingerbread figures and they are a funny looking brown and no way could I put them next to the ones I got from her last year. I was going to return them, but I just put them in a corner of the kitchen where the color isn't noticeable.

Respected Contributor

In the last couple of months I have ordered three sets of lamps (six lamps, in total), a glass faceted decorative box and a mirrored box from Valerie and I have been more than happy with the quality. I might add that I am very picky.

I will continue to order.

Honored Contributor

I've had very mixed results with VPH stuff. Anything needing a battery is a gamble. If it has to light up, my requirement is that I have to like it as well unlit as when it is lit. 

I've had a number of her lit items fail, especially the timers don't work well long term on some things. 

All product lines at Q (I have especially noticed this with Temp-tations, Lock and Lock, and VPH) have some great things and some not so great. I've learned to watch the presentations and can usually tell what items are better made, and which ones are trouble, just by the presentation. 

Many years ago, VPH had more higher quality items, and fewer cheap things. But as the years progress, it seems there are only a handful of really well made things each year. Even things that don't need to 'work' often look cheap and no different than many similar things out in the marketplace for less money. And the style of thing she brings has changed from mostly traditional and elegant to a lot of whimsy and more modern, which kind of leaves me out as a buyer. But that's ok!

Honored Contributor

I can only think of one item of Valerie's I returned, and it was due to the color, was much darker that the site showed.

I love Valerie's florals and vases, bought two of the large crackle glass with bow design, and four of the large mosaic curved vases in different colors, all beautiful, high quality items.  Her angels are wonderful.  I have been buying her items for years and years, and have been happy with all.  My only complaint is her items are becoming more expensive, but still are high quality, garlands, picks, my favorites, and on and on, and let's not forget her lit glistening trees with the pine cones.

Valued Contributor

Just throwing this out there regarding faux flowers and vases the Peony brand has some really nice stuff that I have recently purchased.  

Esteemed Contributor

As I look around my home, I see many items purchased from Valerie. I have been buying 'Valerie' since her 1993 first show - Decorating With Wreaths and then her show was Heartfelt Homes. Though some items are many years old, they are still working and good looking.

But throughout those years, I have also sent several products back because they just did not work or look finished.  I have also donated several items that I just got tired of and did not really love.  

Lately her items have been 'hit or miss' for me too. I do NOT like mercury glass items nor microlights. Luckily, I just don't decorate like I used to and don't need new items.

Respected Contributor

I am 50/50 with Valerie's products. 50% were fine, 50% were poor quality.  Not a good average if you want my money. So I don't purchase any more of her goods. I do like her shows, and watch to get ideas, but I do not buy.