Honored Contributor

Re: Valerie Parr Hill - Hanna's Candles

@lulai wrote:

When Old Virginia was at QVC, I used to get all the auto deliverys...when they started to disappear, I started hoarding them, especially the 3 layer ones...I found the last of them at Marshalls or Homegoods, and even ones I bought years and years ago still smell the same as the day I bought them.  I don't know if i'll ever burn them, or just keep them on the shelf, open them up once in awhile and sniff them.  LOL!

@lulai

I'm still mad at the Old Virginia Candle Company for changing over to primarily Woodwick candles.

I bought a lot of those triple layer candles too, and when they were on clearance here at Q, you would get those big sets of three sizes in a set for about $16.00. 

I haven't burned a lot of mine either, as I use them in various fall and holiday decor. They do still smell just like new. I never understood why they felt they had to make such a drastic can complete change. There certainly would have been customers for both lines. 

For quite awhile, you could find those sets on ebay, but last time I looked, I didn't see any. 

Glad to know there is someone else that loved and misses them just as much as I do!

Respected Contributor

@lulai wrote:

When Old Virginia was at QVC, I used to get all the auto deliverys...when they started to disappear, I started hoarding them, especially the 3 layer ones...I found the last of them at Marshalls or Homegoods, and even ones I bought years and years ago still smell the same as the day I bought them.  I don't know if i'll ever burn them, or just keep them on the shelf, open them up once in awhile and sniff them.  LOL!

Oh yes. I still have about 6 Old Virginia candles left. I have been burning a triple layer one that smells divine. Just love them and so disappointed when they stopped making them. I got the sets on AD also. Those were the days. 

Trusted Contributor

I used to buy Valerie's candles from Hanna's when I first started watching QVC probably 16+ years ago and they were great.  I had the cake candles, frosted candle jars with the plates and shades, and many others.  They were amazing and I used them exclusively.  However, after a while something happened to the quality.  They tunneled terribly and produced the worst black soot I had ever seen.  I soon stopped using them and went over to Yankee Candle and then BBW/Slatkin as well.

When QVC started allowing customers to review items, I remember that there were maybe hundreds of very negative reviews of the candles.  Very soon after that, her candles went on clearance and then disappeared altogether.

She got rid of the frosted jar candles (they came in SO many scents!) completely, but she sometimes does have a few little things here and there.  It's a shame that she can't use a different company for her candles because I remember they were so beautifully decorative.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio   I noticed a few weeks ago that Yankee Candle now sells the Wood Wick candles from Old Virginia.  You can buy them from their site and they are selling them in their stores.  I was there a few weeks ago and they had a whole wall dedicated to them.

I'm assuming Yankee bought out Virginia Candles.  They were such a nice company with really great performing candles and scents.  Maybe they just couldn't keep up with production for whatever reason.

Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

@Mominohio   I noticed a few weeks ago that Yankee Candle now sells the Wood Wick candles from Old Virginia.  You can buy them from their site and they are selling them in their stores.  I was there a few weeks ago and they had a whole wall dedicated to them.

I'm assuming Yankee bought out Virginia Candles.  They were such a nice company with really great performing candles and scents.  Maybe they just couldn't keep up with production for whatever reason.

@Grade1Teach

Interesting! I hadn't noticed that. Another good company gobbled up by one that isn't what they once were. I used to (back decades ago) be a die hard Yankee fan, but after the original owner sold out, the quality of their scents went down hill over time. Sorry to hear that maybe what was once the Old Virginia Candle company might not exist in any form anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is an article with some really interesting information on who owns who, at least as of last December.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/newell-to-buy-sistema-woodwick-for-570-million-2016-12-12

@Grade1Teach