Esteemed Contributor

Agreed, a lot of her stuff is junk.  Her hurricane candle holders and things like that are nice.  I don't buy much anymore as I have way too much already.  But if I do it's only if it has a high rating.   Her prices are too high though in some cases for stuff you can buy cheap at an outlet store. Sorry, it's true.  And her items never have free shipping.

Respected Contributor

Valerie has her niche here at the Q. For women that would prefer to shop online vs going out shopping, she does not seem to have anything different than some stores have.

Some good, some not so good and some bad, 

I don’t shop her stuff. 

The couple things I did have of hers were fine, but from a few years ago

and I no longer even have them,

A case of hitting that place order button or hitting the stores... your choice.

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I think it's a mixed bag. My perception is that she still sells some decent things, but there is also an increasing amount of kitsch. I do believe, though, that many of her items are not so much 'hers' as they are purchased wholesale from some other entity. I've seen several of the same or very similar items being sold at other home decor venues under different names.

I agree. Some of her items are decent, while others can be purchased at Home Goods and other retailers. The vendors all go to a "gift show" in places like NYC, (other major cities) where the stores buy their items from the different sellers. Valerie's items used to be much higher end. Now I just go to the home stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

more bunnies and other stuff at Home Goods than I would ever want to see,  all the same everywhere.  looks like the stuff Val brings

and less money and all proably from same place in China 

Yup! I was just at Home Goods on Monday and it was loaded with rabbit/bunny items, wreaths, eggs and candy. Much lower prices and no shipping fees.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

more bunnies and other stuff at Home Goods than I would ever want to see,  all the same everywhere.  looks like the stuff Val brings

Agree, and was going to post exactly what you said.  I generally don't watch her, but I saw some of the show earlier this week (was folding laundry and couldn't reach the remote, LOL), and didn't really see anything that I haven't seen in TJM, HomeGoods, or Marshalls.  It's all MIC, so it likely comes from the same factories.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

Agree, and was going to post exactly what you said.  I generally don't watch her, but I saw some of the show earlier this week (was folding laundry and couldn't reach the remote, LOL), and didn't really see anything that I haven't seen in TJM, HomeGoods, or Marshalls.  It's all MIC, so it likely comes from the same factories.

but I do think that when I started watching the channel her things were a bit nicer and less "i picked from the china catlog" ish 

like the cabinet she had last week, it was very nice but where I live there is Home Good, TJ Maxx, HomeSense all within 15 mins and others where the same stuff is found, so to make it appear that it's just for the Q or exclusive is a bit disingenous,  

Honored Contributor

So far, everything I have bought of Valerie's, and that is considerable, is wonderful.  I buy what I don't see anywhere else, love the garlands especially.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@hick you got some of her nicer items. I've liked all my VPH items but I choose them carefully and buy infrequently.

Bingo @AuntG Auntie has the right idea... It isn't just about what we individually select, it's about what she offers. Of course, she offers some nice things, but the preponderance of stuff sold under her name isn't always so great... I'm personally also tired of the same aesthetic: mirrored and/or illuminated... I've gotten some real beauties from VPH, but looking online at her show's content usually elucidates quite a bit of less desirable merchandise...

I'd also agree with those who note that there are other venues for home decor that offer both better variety and better prices...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

If you listen to carefully she has said " we try and bring you affordable items" , which means you get what you pay for.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkerbell3  I remember Phyllis George and still have many items that I purchased from her line.  I liked them so much that two days of our last vacation was spent in Berea, Kentucky, where her items mostly came from.  I wish the Q would have a show from there.

I have purchased some of VPH items in the past that I still use, but I have felt for quite a while that the quality is not there, especially with some of the Christmas items.  I have two pieces of her furniture from about 10 years ago that I just love.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!