Honored Contributor

Vacuuming the curtains/drapes...who knew?

[ Edited ]

I have heard of people using a vacuum attachment to remove the dust from drapes/curtains. I've even done it myself, but with the wand thingy and it wasn't very effective and would wrinkle things when I'd get too close and the fabric would get pulled in slightly. I usually take the curtains down once a year for washing, so it just wasn't something I spent a lot of time thinking about.

I have a Hoover Portapower (love those things, had one for decades and they still make them!!) and my new one I got a couple of years ago came with all kinds of attachments I never use. This year, because all my curtains are relatively new, I considered not washing them, but just getting the dust out. I looked at my attachments, and there was this little one, with long soft bristles all around the opening. I gave it a try!

WOW! lots of suction to remove dust, but no grabbing the material and making it difficult to handle or messing up the fabric. I've found a new love! I don't know if this attachment was designed for drapes, but I certainly am impressed with how it functions. Also so happy to leave the new curtains up for now, and not have to take them down for washing. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Vacuuming the curtains/drapes...who knew?

[ Edited ]

76920349-e8f0-4193-bdac-213a1baca0d9_600.jpg (600×600)This is the new one I got a couple of years ago. I don't use this on floors, but for furniture, steps, cars, edging the baseboards etc. 

The first one I got I found at a thrift store for $15 and it didn't have any of the attachments except the wand. I still have it and it runs, and is used in the garage for sweeping out the cars. It has been used by me for over 25 years, and who know how long someone had it before me?

When I bought the new one, I was surprised that all the attachments, hose, and collection bag inside (reusable, no bags to buy) all still work in conjunction with the old one. How often does that happen anymore!! I expected the new one to have less power too, and it is as strong (actually stronger) than my old one!

I see all the small and cordless vacs out today, but for about $100 each for these Hoovers, I've no desire for any other kind. Not pretty to look at , but functions like a dream!

Honored Contributor

That's why I don't have any curtains/drapes because they get so dusty!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

When I was a child, my mother vacuumed the drapes often.  We lived in a dusty environment because of the local industry.

Our vacuum cleaner wand had a small hole in it that could be exposed by sliding a lever over.  This lessened the suction and the drapes would not be sucked up into the wand.

Over the years, I have had many vacuum cleaners that had this function. I vacuum my drapes and cobwebs with this feature.   once in a while.

Usually, I put an old towel on the head of a broom and tie it on.  I dust my ceilings and light fixtures this way because it is faster.

Esteemed Contributor

Also you should vacuum your couches and any soft surfaces once a week.

When you wash your mattress pad you should also vacuum your mattress.

Honored Contributor

I have highly textured walls in my house and they get dusty, too. I run the vacuum on them occasionally to catch any dust on them.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have highly textured walls in my house and they get dusty, too. I run the vacuum on them occasionally to catch any dust on them.

@SilleeMee     I'm glad to hear that I'm not "the only one"!!!!!!  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Also you should vacuum your couches and any soft surfaces once a week.

When you wash your mattress pad you should also vacuum your mattress.

I steam clean my mattress at least a couple times a year.

Honored Contributor

I only buy machine washable drapes, sheers, curtains now.  I toss them in the washer and line dry them quite often.  I usually put them in garment bags when washing.

I can't stand when a drape feels *stiff* from dust?  They just feel loaded.

I dust my walls about 4 times a year.  i used a long fat wand that has all these loops on it (from BB&B).  I'll dust a wall, go outside and bang it against something hard it it makes me weak in the knees when I see how much dust comes off sometimes!