Honored Contributor

Shark has a better warranty than Dyson which is remarkable.  I own an Oreck for my regular vacuum for over 5 years now.  I bought the Shark lightweight to use on baseboards or under the refrigerator, etc., blinds.  I am impessed with suction but you have to wash the filters once a month.  The one that Oreck gave me with the regular vacuum was horrible.  You have to go with your gut.  Dyson is okay if you are getting a good deal and if it is going to last years and years.  I know a few people that own Shark and are very pleased.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I just bought a new Shark vacuum too. Not the battery kind but the corded one. Got a great deal, is very easy to push and easy to clean out the gunk. My old one was a Hoover wind tunnel and it was a tank----I bought mine at B Buy.

Respected Contributor

They are not the best, it's true. I've had the best and they require service periodically and there is no one to provide it that you can count on regularly. Take the filters out and clean them regularly. It won't need to be discarded so soon.

Honored Contributor

I've used Oreck vacs for years but they really did a poor job of cleaning. However, they were lightweight.So my housekeeper asked me to get a Dyson canister vac and, though it is heavy to drag around , it does really get the carpet clean. I can get under the bed and the furniture, I can dust my shutters, ceiling fans & the tops of my high furniture. I feel my Dyson canister vac was the best money I've ever spent.

Trusted Contributor

I appreciate all the replies here, since I also am in the market for a new vacuum cleaner!  I start out by saying "they don't make them like they used to"  !!!   I am sitting here looking at 3 vacuum cleaners lined up in front of me, that I am about to throw away.

The Dyson Animal (paid $309 for it) did not last long at all, perhaps 2 years.  The Bissell only lasted one year, but I got my money's worth, because it was only $59.  The Hoover lasted about 3 years, and it wasn't very expensive at the time, either.

I wondered if these floors in this rental house could have possibly been so dusty/dirty that they ruined 3 vacuums, but that is when the statement entered my mind that things don't last as long as they used to!

So, now in reading your posts here, I am getting some good ideas on what to narrow my search on, so thanks again!!

Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

I appreciate all the replies here, since I also am in the market for a new vacuum cleaner!  I start out by saying "they don't make them like they used to"  !!!   I am sitting here looking at 3 vacuum cleaners lined up in front of me, that I am about to throw away.

The Dyson Animal (paid $309 for it) did not last long at all, perhaps 2 years.  The Bissell only lasted one year, but I got my money's worth, because it was only $59.  The Hoover lasted about 3 years, and it wasn't very expensive at the time, either.

I wondered if these floors in this rental house could have possibly been so dusty/dirty that they ruined 3 vacuums, but that is when the statement entered my mind that things don't last as long as they used to!

So, now in reading your posts here, I am getting some good ideas on what to narrow my search on, so thanks again!!

I'll say this again @123SuzyQ123.  I love my Miele.  I had my first one for around 25 years.  It was still going strong, but I ruined my floor tool by running it over something that was sticky.  Since it was so old I bought a new vacuum cleaner.  I bought the lightweight canister and absolutely love it.  My first Miele was a canister, too.  It wasn't very heavy, but the lighter weight one sounded appealing to me.  I'm using my first one for my car and screened in porch.  I don't need the floor tool for those places.  

Miele's are expensive, but when you don't ever have to replace them they're worth it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack, Hi NickNack, I did see your post about the Miele, but they are too expensive for me.  I looked at them on Amazon and the lowest priced one was ABOUT $299, which is out of range for me at this time.  Thank you so much for the recommendation, though!   When I get out of this rental and into my own home again, I will definitely revisit the Miele idea!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@123SuzyQ123 wrote:

@NickNack, Hi NickNack, I did see your post about the Miele, but they are too expensive for me.  I looked at them on Amazon and the lowest priced one was ABOUT $299, which is out of range for me at this time.  Thank you so much for the recommendation, though!   When I get out of this rental and into my own home again, I will definitely revisit the Miele idea!  Thanks!

@123SuzyQ123  Yes, they are quite expensive.  I hesitated about paying it the first time.  When it lasted so long, though, it was the only one I considered the second time.  I hope you find one you love.  I'm sure there are other good ones out there for less money.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau