Respected Contributor

Re: Vacuum Cleaner Suggestions

@jlkz  I thought of that too about the rippling and carpet stretching.  That will sure be an ordeal as there is a lot of heavy furniture in that room that would have to be moved incuding my computer desk and a large armoire filled with clothes.  That may be the answer tho. Don't know what causes carpet to need stretching - I figured it might be the beater bar or something on my vacuum causing the problem.  Sure don't want the rippling to get any worse.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  You are probaby right about the carpet rippling issue.  I also have a Hoover Windtunnel.  Boy I hate to think of having carpet restretched.

Respected Contributor

The last few years of my parents'smlife in their home were always contentious....I am sure Alzheimer's  played a part.

Right in the middle of their carpeted living room was a LARGE ripple.  In their late 80's, I was so upset at their refusal to get it stretched.  Finally got the sister who lived closest to them and was always there to get it fixed.

If you or someone tripped and hurt themselves on your rippling, it might be very costly: money for hospitalization, rehab, lawsuit, etc.  Insurance might not be available should they come and inspect the scene to see if it could have been prevented.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@Bhvbum what brand of bagless do you recommend?  I've had Fantoms and Eurekas and next vacuum will be bagged.  Of course. i have too many allergies to deal with the dirtcup and hair wrapped around its center.  Had to be masked and gloved to deal with that even before current conditions.

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@KathyM23  Awhile ago someone on these boards recommended the Miele Vacuum cleaner to me.  I used a Dyson for years and decided to try something else.  I bought the Miele on line from their site Miele.com.  It's very strong in picking up things.  Now as far as your carpet buckling, it's probably because you need to have it restretched, not the cause of the sweeper.  Sometimes a carpet can do that if it wasn't done correctly the first time.  I would have a carpet company come out and fix that first.

I have/had Mieles and Dysons,  Hands down Miele is the way to go!  

Agreed- get the carpet restretched. some types of carpet just need to be restretched after they relax.  Learn from my lesson do it soon, the longer you let it go the harder it is to fix properly. 

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@jlkz  I thought of that too about the rippling and carpet stretching.  That will sure be an ordeal as there  is a lot of heavy furniture in that room that would have to be moved incuding my computer desk and a large armoire filled with clothes.  That may be the answer tho. Don't know what causes carpet to need stretching - I figured it might be the beater bar or something on my vacuum causing the problem.  Sure don't want the rippling to get any worse.

If you catch it quickly they do not have to remove all the furniture.  Just the furniture in one direction.  

Honored Contributor

I have had a Miele for probably 20 years or more.  I have a lightweight one and love it.  It's very powerful and does use bags.  It's expensive but lasts forever.  My housekeepers say Miele is the best vacuum they've ever used.  I've recommended it on these boards many times.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau