Respected Contributor

Suggestions welcomed.  I live by myself, but do own a cat - so I got hair and dust and the usual debris that seems to appear out of nowhere.  I typically vacume with the power vacume once a week - 2 bedrooms are carpeted, and I have 2 large rugs.  I have a swiffer and a bob aslett micro fiber mops for the hardwoods and tile.  Also a manual little vacume sweeper push around thing.

But I need a new power vacume.  My current one (about 10 years old) is a Bissell, bagless and I like it just fine, but one of the filters in the debris container has gone kaput.  I don't want to spend big bucks on a vacume. Really I don't want to go over $100 if possible.  With the age of the vacume I don't think I can just get a replacement filter, although I haven't really looked for one.  Any recommendations?  A Shark?  A Bissell?  Hoover? or other?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Re: Vacume Cleaners

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN   I own the Shark Rocket for a few years now.  No problems and suction is exceptional.  The reason I purchased it is because it is very lightweight and I can use it like a regular vacuum or take the bottom part off and use attachments for baseboards, litter outside her box, etc.  It does not use bags.  My cat can kick out her litter like no tomorrow.  Check prices at QVC, Target and perhaps Walmart.  You really do not need a big, bulky vacuum.  The Rocet does it all with many attachments.  It even attaches so you just have the top part of use.  Good luck in  your search.

It's on sale at QVC but still check other places for prices.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

big fan of Shark. don't like the new versions of various brands that have a dirt catcher at the top of the handle: very hard on the wrist to have all the weight at the top. 

I have a Shark Navigator and its been great for many years. attached an extension cord so I can do the entire condo without having to move to various outlets. 

I prefer a cordless...had an older version of a Bissell Air Ram and loved it. finally died, so I recently tracked one down to replace it. 

I have a lightweight Bissell that is basically only good for non carpet areas. does fine on kitchen floor and bathrooms, and hits the top of carpets but not enough to rake the carpet. 

if I could only have one and being corded was not an issue, its Shark all the way. 

you can't get much for under $200 that will do the job. I always read reviews here and on Amazon before any purchase. and treat those with a grain of salt. 

good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN 

I bought a sweeper a couple years ago and I really like it.  It is very lightweight --- which is a must for me.  It is a kind of a canister style.  I don't know how to insert pictures here but I will give you the name and model number.  Euerka Whirlwind NEN110A.  When I bought it, it was about $59, but when I recently saw it on Amazon because I was thinking about buying another one, it was, I believe about $79.  Another feature I like about it, there are no bags to buy --- just a container that you empty.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I looked thru my appliance papers and found my Bissell brochure.  The vacume is 10 years old and at that time cost $89.99 from Best Buy.  I can order replacement parts if they are still available for this older model so I think I will start there.  The actual vacume and motor are fine, its the filters that need replacement.  Good to know about the Shark brand.  I've never owned anything Shark.

I will check out the Eureka online.  There are so many different types of vacumes, and I'm not cleaning up after a lot of kids or house traffic so I don't need the top of the line.  If I can get my filter replacements I will keep as is, if I can't, I'll have to check out the suggestions.  Thanks everyone.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Super Contributor

I have a Shark A1 robot vacuum with self cleaning bin. OMG I love this thing. We call her Hazel. She vacuums daily at 10:00 AM and takes Sundays off.  Our floors are tile, hardwood with a few large area rugs.  Hazel does an amazing job and is quiet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had my Shark Navigator Lift-Away Zero-M Speed ZU560 for almost two years. It's my third Shark vacuum cleaner. All still working.

The Zero-M Speed has a self-cleaning brush roll with a combination of bristle brushes and soft squeegee-type strips on it so it never scatters the debris which gets swept up into the waste cup very quickly. The suction is tremendous...you can feel the head grab onto the floor when you're on hard floors. The self-cleaning brush roll means you never have to struggle with removing stuff which otherwise gets wrapped around the brush roll and when you own a pet that feature alone is worth the cost of the entire vacuum. 

The Zero-M Speed is top-rated everywhere it's sold. You won't be disappointed. I bought mine from Walmart for less than $200 but that price has come down some since then. $179 is what I saw it sold for the last time I looked.

Trusted Contributor

i have a shark and i love it.. i always wanted a dyson, but i will  never spend that kind of money. and i read that sharks are better than dysons.. i live alone, so i dont vaccum alot, usually once a week. but love my shark. i got it from here yrs ago when it was a tsv. and i will get another one.

Esteemed Contributor

I also have a Shark stick vacuum and very happy with it.

Honored Contributor

I've tried many - and these are two brands that  I now own I would recommend:   

Dirt Devil bagless Stick Vac  and also a hand held version that's great

Bissell Zing Bagless Canister  (for gettng into the corners and under things that the other vac won't reach)

I don't have any pets - just me but I'm really messy.  My hobbies create a lot of lint and litter .... and even though I live on the10th Floor - we collect a tremendous amount of dust.  

I