Honored Contributor

Vaccums, need a light weight one but one that works good too.

Any recommendations? Due to back issues & arthritis, I need a good one but it needs to be light enough. Been looking at Orech's on line, but we've read reviews on those and I want to choose the right one. If you'd care to share, I'd like to hear. (We have heard and read about refrigerators on here, so I hope I can get recommendations on vac's too).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vaccums, need a light weight one but one that works good too.

I have arthritis and carpal tunnel. I got a Shark like they sell on here. I really like it. I have both carpet and tile.

My hand would cramp up with my old Eureka and Hoover before I was done. Really like the handle on the Shark...easy on my hands and wrist.

Valued Contributor

Shark for sure.  I also have a back that gives me problems.  After I got used to the swivel (balance issues), I love this machine.  Easy clean up.  Would definitely recommend.  I had an Oreck a few years ago as a back up and was not impressed other than it was very light.  I have always had Eurekas (commericial ones) and loved them too, but they are not as easy as the Shark.  

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Trusted Contributor

I also have a Shark and like it. It's lightweight and has good suction. The only thing I don't like is my model does not have a place to store the long wand attachment onboard. That isn't convenient for me. Maybe other models do, mine was a less expensive one. My inlaws had an Oreck and I like the suction of my Shark better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just purchased the latest Oreck. I have used Oreck vacs for about 20 years.

I have wood floors wiith a few area rugs.  I buy simple basic cleaners with a light. You will find alot of info on the sale page with the cleaner.

I looked at a Shark Rocket cleaner, but you need a pad to run on wood floor.

Respected Contributor

I have a very lightweight Oreck, and like it very much. I have it for about 2 years so I am not sure if it is the newest model.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own four (yes, that says 4) Orecks and don't ask how I wound up with that many--it's a long story.  I like them all for their compactness and light weight and have one on each of the three floors of my house.  That makes me enjoy vacuuming much more than lugging a heavier model up a staircase, believe me.

The Orecks I have (not real new models) do NOT work easily  on any rug that has much pile........the vacuum drags and struggles on that type of rug so I get a little more exercise while using it.....but for low-pile, tightly woven rugs, Oreck is great. 

I use other tools to clean the hardwood floors around our area rugs, including one of the two small canister vacs that came with two of my Orecks.

So I'd say whether you want a lightweight Oreck depends on how thick and plush your rugs are--unless of course you see a demonstration of how newer Orecks perform on that type of surface.  Maybe the newer models are much improved over what I have.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for Oreck here.  I've had them for at least 20 years. I've passed several down to kids and grands, but I've never heard of one that wore out.    

I like that my Oreck can go from carpet to bare floors and continue to work just fine - no extra parts needed.  I do have an Electrolux that I use mainly to do "above the floor" cleaning, but I rarely ever use it on floors. Just bought the sale priced Oreck from QVC and it's working beautifully.  And they are light enough for even this "older lady" to handle easily.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Ladies! We discussed what was on here and he went into Consumer's Reports. It was a toss up but I think we've ordered what I was looking for. The other one may set in the wings, or my son might get it, or I'll have 3, not counting his shop vac. We should be all-floor covered now. LOL. Thanks again to all of you.

by the way, we got a Shark.

Valued Contributor

I purchased a condo and put in brand new plush carpeting.  I had an Oreck that worked fine when I was renting and had very low pile carpeting but it was impossible to move the vacuum over the new plusher carpet.  When the Q had the Shark Lift Off as its TSV, I bought it and couldn't be happier.  It's easy to manipulate and clean on my kitchen floor as well as carpet.  All you do to go from carpet to hard floor is push a button.  Couldn't be easier and I couldn't be happier.  Good luck with whatever you choose but I highly recommend the Shark.               docsgirl