Honored Contributor

VPH scenes under glass arrived today, mixed feelings about these.

My VPH order came today, unpacked and washed up. 

I ordered the church, the carolers, and the snowman. I will say the packing was rather creative, and seemed to be quite substantial and well thought out. They arrived in good condition. 

The quality is what I would call good, and for the price of each piece after shipping and tax, I can't really say they are 'perfect' or excellent.  One (the snowman) had so many bubbles in the glass globe that it is rather detracting from the scene. There is an insert in the boxes stating that there might be some bubbles in the glass, but that one was excessive in comparison to the other two. 

The carolers come closest to being perfect and looks really nice. The church had what I thought was a big defect in the 'snow', it looked like it wasn't formed correctly at the base, and was quite different looking and sloppy compared to the snow in the other two. I went online to look at the pictures of the church piece (no video of that one available at this time) and saw that the one pictured online had the same uneven and sloppy look, so it must have been in the mold, or a complete run of them came out that way. The lights on the church scene are not put on so as to show in the front, and has more lights in the back of the trees. I'm not sure I want to attempt to move the lights, as it would damage them.

I'm testing the light timer function for a few days, and will decide if I will keep them all. The snowman was for a gift, and the glass is pretty bad, so I may not keep that one. 

If these had cost $20 or $25 less, I'd give them a better rating, but for the total price just pennies under $55, my expectations are rather high. 

I think most people are liking them, they are getting fairly good ratings, and this post isn't meant to be a complaint, just a realistic look at a couple of things that I thought fell short for the price.

I did notice that I might be able to take the carolers out of the set, and place them with the lit church and lit Victorian house that I purchased last year from VPH as they look to be the right size for a proper scale fit with those. I had already put some extra bottle brush trees around those two buildings, and had a nice little scene, but adding the carolers (and the snowman and kids might be just right for that as well) does make it more valuable as it can be used yet another way. I like that kind of versatility. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: VPH scenes under glass arrived today, mixed feelings about these.

I got mine today also. I ordered the Carolers and the Gingerbread House. I really like the Carolers and my glass has no bubbles. The Gingerbread house is cute and since I decorate my kitchen with a gingerbread theme...it will look nice . That one has one small bubble in the glass. I am keeping both of them.

I am glad that they were packed well...I was so afraid something was going to be broken for sure

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear about the bubbles.  I got the carolers and had no bubbles.  Everything was perfect.  The tree lights are bright, but I'm still not convinced they shine enough on the carolers.  I agree the price was steep.  I'm happy with mine and would only buy more if they came up in as is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

mominohio,

I am sorry you are disappointed in your purchase. I bought the cloche that Lisa sold last year, and mine had some small bubbles, which is a problem for me as well. I recommend you call and let CS know you want a replacement(s) for those you are not happy with. I know it is a hassle, but if,you return them, hopefully you will get a perfect replacement. I agree with you that we should expect top quality for these products. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My VPH order came today, unpacked and washed up. 

I ordered the church, the carolers, and the snowman. I will say the packing was rather creative, and seemed to be quite substantial and well thought out. They arrived in good condition. 

The quality is what I would call good, and for the price of each piece after shipping and tax, I can't really say they are 'perfect' or excellent.  One (the snowman) had so many bubbles in the glass globe that it is rather detracting from the scene. There is an insert in the boxes stating that there might be some bubbles in the glass, but that one was excessive in comparison to the other two. 

The carolers come closest to being perfect and looks really nice. The church had what I thought was a big defect in the 'snow', it looked like it wasn't formed correctly at the base, and was quite different looking and sloppy compared to the snow in the other two. I went online to look at the pictures of the church piece (no video of that one available at this time) and saw that the one pictured online had the same uneven and sloppy look, so it must have been in the mold, or a complete run of them came out that way. The lights on the church scene are not put on so as to show in the front, and has more lights in the back of the trees. I'm not sure I want to attempt to move the lights, as it would damage them.

I'm testing the light timer function for a few days, and will decide if I will keep them all. The snowman was for a gift, and the glass is pretty bad, so I may not keep that one. 

If these had cost $20 or $25 less, I'd give them a better rating, but for the total price just pennies under $55, my expectations are rather high. 

I think most people are liking them, they are getting fairly good ratings, and this post isn't meant to be a complaint, just a realistic look at a couple of things that I thought fell short for the price.

I did notice that I might be able to take the carolers out of the set, and place them with the lit church and lit Victorian house that I purchased last year from VPH as they look to be the right size for a proper scale fit with those. I had already put some extra bottle brush trees around those two buildings, and had a nice little scene, but adding the carolers (and the snowman and kids might be just right for that as well) does make it more valuable as it can be used yet another way. I like that kind of versatility. 

MIO, thank you for the review.  I ordered the church and the carolers.  The carolers are coming tomorrow.  I'm hoping for better ones than you received because I get a little tired of having to turn items a certain way so the bad points don't show, especially with the prices we pay for them.  I am bothered by bubbles in glass and since the dome is covering a scene it does distract from that. I'll most likely  return if mine has bubbles that are very obvious.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to add to my earlier post that I certainly would not keep one of these that was not suitable to give as an intended gift. QVC should be notified, and pay shipping charges. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow...I feel so badly that some are getting glass that is not acceptable.  I have both last year's (which is much much larger) and this year's church and neither or mine have bubbles in the glass.  Since the TSV price was not really much less than the price is now, I have been considering order a few more as gifts, but now I'm rethinking that .  That is very disappointing to hear. I agree that at the price we paid, it should be much more satisfying to look at.  I hope others have better experiences.

Valued Contributor

Gosh, mominohio, what a disappointment. What is the Qs return policy if a product is defective or doesn't meet our quality expectations? 

What is the Qs return policy regarding as is products? I am unsure after they reduced shipped to $5, when it used to be around $9.95 or $10.95? I would really like to know.

Sorry you have some issues with yours, mominohio. 

Valued Contributor

Gosh, mominohio, what a disappointment. What is the Qs return policy if a product is defective or doesn't meet our quality expectations? 

What is the Qs return policy regarding as is products? I am unsure after they reduced shipping  to $5, when it used to be around $9.95 or $10.95? I would really like to know.

Sorry you have some issues with yours, mominohio. 

Honored Contributor

I am wondering what kind of condition my carolers cloche will be in when I get it tomorrow.  It appears that some of the domes have some bubbles and others don't, so I'm hoping to be lucky and get a good one.  I'll post back tomorrow night after I get it.