Honored Contributor

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

@littlearl wrote:

Mine are out for delivery and now I am wondering if I should just refuse shipment?  I so wanted these to be worth the investment and had my display all planned out.  Why can't QVC bring us quality items?  So tired of getting items that don't work or are just poor quality.  I would rather spend a bit more for higher quality items.  

Customer service once told me that I had to open the package, fill out the return slip, then return it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Didn't mean to discourage those of you who haven't received yours yet. 

The larger two of mine are just ok. You can see some of the light bar through if you look closely, and the small one is a real mess, as you can see through it pretty much everywhere. 

They look better unlit, but I didn't pay unlit prices, and wanted them to be beautiful when lit.

I'm optimistic that many of the sets will be good, and I just wasn't lucky enough to get one of those. 

Please report back and let us know how they are, when you all receive yours.

Thanks for the update as I'm one who is still on the fence on both sets of the glass finials. 

I think Valerie tried to prepare buyers for the transparent glass issue in her presentation.  Listen closely at 6:35 in the video if interested.  I'm not saying it is acceptable, but she must have observed it in her samples, too.

http://www.qvc.com/Set-of-3-Illuminated-Mercury-Glass-Swirl-Finials-by-Valerie.product.H205287.html?...

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Didn't mean to discourage those of you who haven't received yours yet. 

The larger two of mine are just ok. You can see some of the light bar through if you look closely, and the small one is a real mess, as you can see through it pretty much everywhere. 

They look better unlit, but I didn't pay unlit prices, and wanted them to be beautiful when lit.

I'm optimistic that many of the sets will be good, and I just wasn't lucky enough to get one of those. 

Please report back and let us know how they are, when you all receive yours.

Thanks for the update as I'm one who is still on the fence on both sets of the glass finials. 

I think Valerie tried to prepare buyers for the transparent glass issue in her presentation.  Listen closely at 6:35 in the video if interested.  I'm not saying it is acceptable, but she must have observed it in her samples, too.

http://www.qvc.com/Set-of-3-Illuminated-Mercury-Glass-Swirl-Finials-by-Valerie.product.H205287.html?...

Good catch!

I did see that presentation, and I remember her saying this. Exactly right. It was a 'disclaimer' about what we would probably see. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never bought any of her items.  But if you are not completely happy, absolutely send them back, and tell them why.  Maybe they will get the hint.

Awhile back I ordered a bunch of Jim Shore items off his website.  The paint job on ALL of them was so lousy that I sent them all back.  I know they are hand painted, but I could have done a better painting job.  They looked like mass produced junk in the reject bin.  IF I buy anymore, it will be from a store where I can pick out the best one, if there even are any good ones.

We all work hard for our money and want our homes to be nice and well decorated.  If something looks junky, then you will never be happy with it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Morning everyone!

We waited like a bunch of kids in a candy store to see and receive those MG 'soft serve ice cream' finials, and I have to say, I'm less than impressed.

They are packaged very well, like the other lit finials, so that is good, hopefully most will get them in one piece.

Size is great, and lights and timers seem to be working after only one cycle tested though.

The disappointment, and the reason I most likely will be sending them back, is that much like a lot of  last year's MG items, they are very splotchy and transparent in spots. I can see right through, especially the small one, to all the workings and light bar. 

If it is necessary to pay more for a product that gets produced properly, I'd just as soon do it. This purchase comes to my door for just under $50. I know things cost more these days, but that is a pretty big chunck of money out of my pocket. The product had better be 'perfect' for this price. I'm not sure I'd be happy with these at an "as is" price of half of that.

I knew when I ordered I should have ordered two sets, and hoped to put together one set that was acceptable, but we just shouldn't have to do that every time we make a VPH purchase.

I ordered silver, and of course, they are out of stock. I'd been having really good luck with my  Q purchases recently, so it was bound to happen!

Hope others come in better than mine did. I think if you ordered a darker color, you might be in better shape. I don't think there is much room for mistakes with the silver, as it is light already.

Like you, I thought they looked beautiful on TV. However, I did not order because I got burnt on her TSV trees that looked so beautiful...mercury glass. I ordered 3 or 4 sets and had to send them all back. Some glass that looked terrible and was clearly defective and some were actually plastic. CS said they had lots of complaints on them and I got all of my Shipping back.

QVC must still make a profit since they continue to send defective products out. I always return mine even now that I have to pay. I must say I order less now because of the high shipping and no reduction in shipping on multiples to the same address.

I passed on Valerie's CIJ live wreaths this year because of that. I have ordered 3 each July for many, many years.

@wonderfulworld  I have purchased quite a few of VPH pieces over the years, but the last couple of times there has been quality control issues---I bought the candles with words which had thumb prints embedded in the glass, an an angel that didn't light properly.....And I read the reviews on the mosiac angels she had recently and many people complained that only one wing lit or did not light up at all, or the battery box had problems---I guess I was lucky on that one because mine did work perfectly and was beautiful----with quality hit or miss it sure does make me purchase things less from VPH and QVC and just drives me to purchase more things locally.....

it's a hastle to return items and then you have to sometimes argue with QVC to get a full refund for a defective item, and they won't refund or credit you until they get the defective items back and although I tracked the items and QVC received them back in a few days, it took 2 months for me to get a credit refunded on my non Q credit card!  I do like to watch her shows and get decorating ideas, and if I do see something unique then I will still make an occasional purchase, and keep my fingers crossed that it arrives in  good quality and condition.  I did have good luck buying some "as is" mercury glass gold pedestals that I use in fall and Christmas decorating.

Good luck on your purchases everyone!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Mominohio,  Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the finials. I'm glad I had no real interest in them, however, I would have if they had champagne (glad they didn't now).

I guess at this point, you would have to decide if they are worth keeping at all...hoping down the road you can mix/match by ordering an 'as is' set or two down the road and somehow make one good set and return the rest. I don't know if that process would be worth it for you...

Valued Contributor

Anyone who lives close enough to the QVC outlets, most always say when seeing things up close & in person----how can QVC make the items look so appealing on TV; when in reality it is really a purchase not worth having.

Trusted Contributor

There used to be a QVC outlet in SW FL until they closed it down a few years ago. I had the opportunity to go there a couple of times.

I also thought how is it that they can make this junque so appealing on TV. If you saw it in person, you would never even pick it up to look at it.

I was able to find some goodies at the outlet and I would love to be able to go to one again. But the magic of special lights, the set and accessories sure make them look good.

I am sorry to hear that the finials are no good. I think that this is the way the products tend to run. Sometimes, many of us get the same thing and they are wonderful. Other times, the items are horrible and get sent back.

For $50 American dollars including shipping, they better be spot on fantastic!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mominohio, sadly my silver finials have to go back as defective!  I was shocked when I opened my box and tried the tallest one with batteries.  I could NOT get both batteries in the compartment.  First one went in just fine, second one, no way and I tried everything.  So I said nuts and went on to the smallest one, batteries went in okay.  The middle one there was no battery problem however there was a major problem.....it was leaning to one side.  I set it in several different places but all three times this finial was leaning and not standing straight. Finally too much clear glass on my set of finials This made me go to the phone right then and there to call customer service to give my reasons for sending back and requesting a full refund including my shipping charges.  She was very nice and agreed to the full refund.

This makes me "done/finished" with finials from the Q.  I am so tired of poor quality control.

Respected Contributor

So far, my silver finials are TDF!!  The painting & structure are at standards; short of the timer function TBD if it is at standards (I am test-driving these in my second guest bathroom featuring my many Partylite Forbidden Fruits collection which looks stunning, I might add).  I have been so lucky so far this year; believe me I've been on the other end more times than I care to mention.  I'm in CIJ Heaven!!