Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

Morning everyone!

 

We waited like a bunch of kids in a candy store to see and receive those MG 'soft serve ice cream' finials, and I have to say, I'm less than impressed.

 

They are packaged very well, like the other lit finials, so that is good, hopefully most will get them in one piece.

 

Size is great, and lights and timers seem to be working after only one cycle tested though.

 

The disappointment, and the reason I most likely will be sending them back, is that much like a lot of  last year's MG items, they are very splotchy and transparent in spots. I can see right through, especially the small one, to all the workings and light bar. 

 

If it is necessary to pay more for a product that gets produced properly, I'd just as soon do it. This purchase comes to my door for just under $50. I know things cost more these days, but that is a pretty big chunck of money out of my pocket. The product had better be 'perfect' for this price. I'm not sure I'd be happy with these at an "as is" price of half of that.

 

I knew when I ordered I should have ordered two sets, and hoped to put together one set that was acceptable, but we just shouldn't have to do that every time we make a VPH purchase.

 

I ordered silver, and of course, they are out of stock. I'd been having really good luck with my  Q purchases recently, so it was bound to happen!

 

Hope others come in better than mine did. I think if you ordered a darker color, you might be in better shape. I don't think there is much room for mistakes with the silver, as it is light already.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,235
Registered: ‎12-05-2012

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment


@Mominohio wrote:

Morning everyone!

 

We waited like a bunch of kids in a candy store to see and receive those MG 'soft serve ice cream' finials, and I have to say, I'm less than impressed.

 

They are packaged very well, like the other lit finials, so that is good, hopefully most will get them in one piece.

 

Size is great, and lights and timers seem to be working after only one cycle tested though.

 

The disappointment, and the reason I most likely will be sending them back, is that much like a lot of  last year's MG items, they are very splotchy and transparent in spots. I can see right through, especially the small one, to all the workings and light bar. 

 

If it is necessary to pay more for a product that gets produced properly, I'd just as soon do it. This purchase comes to my door for just under $50. I know things cost more these days, but that is a pretty big chunck of money out of my pocket. The product had better be 'perfect' for this price. I'm not sure I'd be happy with these at an "as is" price of half of that.

 

I knew when I ordered I should have ordered two sets, and hoped to put together one set that was acceptable, but we just shouldn't have to do that every time we make a VPH purchase.

 

I ordered silver, and of course, they are out of stock. I'd been having really good luck with my  Q purchases recently, so it was bound to happen!

 

Hope others come in better than mine did. I think if you ordered a darker color, you might be in better shape. I don't think there is much room for mistakes with the silver, as it is light already.


Like you, I thought they looked beautiful on TV. However, I did not order because I got burnt on her TSV trees that looked so beautiful...mercury glass. I ordered 3 or 4 sets and had to send them all back. Some glass that looked terrible and was clearly defective and some were actually plastic. CS said they had lots of complaints on them and I got all of my Shipping back.

QVC must still make a profit since they continue to send defective products out. I always return mine even now that I have to pay. I must say I order less now because of the high shipping and no reduction in shipping on multiples to the same address.

 

I passed on Valerie's CIJ live wreaths this year because of that. I have ordered 3 each July for many, many years.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,193
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

I am now startng to "twitch" in anticipation of my set of silver arriving this afternoon and I also am one of those who orders two-fers to get one good set.  Maybe my defective one(s) would compliment yours & we could trade, lol.  I have had fabulous luck so far & I hope my luck continues this afternoon!  Sorry to hear yours are not keepers.  It can be a bummer, especially if you had big plans for those finials.  I have full faith something else comparable down the road. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment


@BornToShop wrote:

I am now startng to "twitch" in anticipation of my set of silver arriving this afternoon and I also am one of those who orders two-fers to get one good set.  Maybe my defective one(s) would compliment yours & we could trade, lol.  I have had fabulous luck so far & I hope my luck continues this afternoon!  Sorry to hear yours are not keepers.  It can be a bummer, especially if you had big plans for those finials.  I have full faith something else comparable down the road. 


I did have a specific idea for them, but it isn't like it will ruin Christmas without them!LOL

 

Got my fingers crossed that yours come in in perfect condition.

 

I have considered calling Q and seeing if they will offer a price adjustment on them, but I'm going to look at them for one more night before I decide if they are even worth that. They often will only give you a small adjustment.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,197
Registered: ‎12-13-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

Well, my finials are coming in this afternoon and I am less excited to see them as so far, the reviews are not good.  I also got the silver and it seems those have more problems.  I just sent back some spheres that didn't work so I hope I'm not on a roll with that.  MIO, I so remember that night we all stayed up late to make sure we didn't miss out on these.  Maybe we should have gone to bed.  lol.  I'll post back tonight after I have a look at mine.  Sorry that yours aren't what you hoped for.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment


@lucymo wrote:

Well, my finials are coming in this afternoon and I am less excited to see them as so far, the reviews are not good.  I also got the silver and it seems those have more problems.  I just sent back some spheres that didn't work so I hope I'm not on a roll with that.  MIO, I so remember that night we all stayed up late to make sure we didn't miss out on these.  Maybe we should have gone to bed.  lol.  I'll post back tonight after I have a look at mine.  Sorry that yours aren't what you hoped for.


Fingers crossed that you get good ones!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,197
Registered: ‎12-13-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment


@BornToShop wrote:

I am now startng to "twitch" in anticipation of my set of silver arriving this afternoon and I also am one of those who orders two-fers to get one good set.  Maybe my defective one(s) would compliment yours & we could trade, lol.  I have had fabulous luck so far & I hope my luck continues this afternoon!  Sorry to hear yours are not keepers.  It can be a bummer, especially if you had big plans for those finials.  I have full faith something else comparable down the road. 


BTS, we're in the same situation with our silver finials.  Mine are out for delivery as well and I am wondering what they will look like and if they'll work right.  I quit ordering two or three of everything because I get tired of running to the post office to return them.  Fingers crossed for both of us.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,197
Registered: ‎12-13-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment


@Mominohio wrote:

@BornToShop wrote:

I am now startng to "twitch" in anticipation of my set of silver arriving this afternoon and I also am one of those who orders two-fers to get one good set.  Maybe my defective one(s) would compliment yours & we could trade, lol.  I have had fabulous luck so far & I hope my luck continues this afternoon!  Sorry to hear yours are not keepers.  It can be a bummer, especially if you had big plans for those finials.  I have full faith something else comparable down the road. 


I did have a specific idea for them, but it isn't like it will ruin Christmas without them!LOL

 

Got my fingers crossed that yours come in in perfect condition.

 

I have considered calling Q and seeing if they will offer a price adjustment on them, but I'm going to look at them for one more night before I decide if they are even worth that. They often will only give you a small adjustment.


You are right that the adjustment is so small that I wonder if it's worth it to keep something that we are less than satisified with.  I also get tired of having to turn items a certain way to hide the flaws. 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

Mine are out for delivery and now I am wondering if I should just refuse shipment?  I so wanted these to be worth the investment and had my display all planned out.  Why can't QVC bring us quality items?  So tired of getting items that don't work or are just poor quality.  I would rather spend a bit more for higher quality items.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: VPH Swirl Finials a disappointment

Didn't mean to discourage those of you who haven't received yours yet. 

 

The larger two of mine are just ok. You can see some of the light bar through if you look closely, and the small one is a real mess, as you can see through it pretty much everywhere. 

 

They look better unlit, but I didn't pay unlit prices, and wanted them to be beautiful when lit.

 

I'm optimistic that many of the sets will be good, and I just wasn't lucky enough to get one of those. 

 

Please report back and let us know how they are, when you all receive yours.