Esteemed Contributor

Re: VALERIE'S FIDDLE LEAF FIG TREE

@Oznell  - I have two of Valerie's four foot fiddle leaf tree.   I ordered one and it never arrived,  Called CS and they said they would send a replacement.  Of course, the original one showed up and I loved it so much, I called CS and said I was keeping both.    Like you, I originally put them in smaller containers, but they didn't look good.  I put them in larger pots and it made a big difference.  They definitely add something to a room.  I have one in my dining room and the other in the master bedroom.  I agree with Valerie, I wouldn't  give them up or my shutter lamps!

I hope you enjoy your tree for many years to come!

Honored Contributor

That blocks of wood idea to elevate it is good, @itsmetoo -- hadn't thought of that.  Her medium size tree now (5') is $59-- the prices seem to fluctuate a bit...

The "finding room for stuff" thing is always a consideration, sensible @spiderw !   The thing with plants and trees, even faux, I think, is that, well-placed, they don't have quite the same "crowding" effect that other decor might.  They seem to bring a breath of fresh air, sort of.   Even fakes, interestingly, if they're good!

@Katcat1,  yes, I think that pot they've got it in in the picture could be bigger too.  They probably don't want us to think, oh, I'll have to get a big pot or basket, so they're keeping expectations fairly low, ha.

Honored Contributor

Wow, I'm finding out some of my favorite people have these trees.  @twinsister ,  how lucky to have two of them!  They do really add somthing, don't they?  Now that you mention your dining room, I'd love to have one in mine too, even though it's only about 11 x 11 feet square!

Frequent Contributor

@Lali1 I have 2 of the small FLF and I'm finding they really aren't that hard. I've had them both 3/4 months, lost 1 leaf on one and 2 on the other, but I think that was just natural.They do like indirect light. I have one in a south window with filtered light and the other is in a west window. They do NOT like to be moved so once you find your sweet spot you may want to leave it there. I water when soil is dry down to my knuckle. And speaking of water I use bottle (most often) or filtered as I've heard they can be finicky about that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have the 4ft. one and wish I'd gone up a size. I have it in a basket slightly bigger but I think it's perfect. Filled the  sides with faux fern leaves. I'm thinking I'll put some bricks under the tree and make it a 5ft. A couple of people who came over felt the leaves (as they were leaving). They just weren't sure. hahaha

Respected Contributor

@vonIam wrote:

@Lali1 I have 2 of the small FLF and I'm finding they really aren't that hard. I've had them both 3/4 months, lost 1 leaf on one and 2 on the other, but I think that was just natural.They do like indirect light. I have one in a south window with filtered light and the other is in a west window. They do NOT like to be moved so once you find your sweet spot you may want to leave it there. I water when soil is dry down to my knuckle. And speaking of water I use bottle (most often) or filtered as I've heard they can be finicky about that.

Your thumb is clearly greener than mine. I have it close to a window that has a screen on it. I have several plants nearby and those are doing good but this Fiddle is fiddly for me. I usually water once a week last week I skipped the water and suddenly one branch drooped and several leaves fell. It has grown some baby leaves towards the bottom and larger ones on top but the minute I think it's doing good it starts to fight me on that. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lali1 wrote:

I have wanted one but wasn't sure about a faux plant. I found a small real Fiddle Leaf at at store nearby for only $16. I bought it to see if I could keep it alive.Home Depot had huge ones for $125.  It's been many many months before the lockdown and it is still alive but it looks sad. It drops leaves I have no idea if it needs more or less water and I'm afraid I'll be dead before it gets big. I may just go for the faux one maybe for Christmas for me.  

@Lali1   I once had a part-time job at a mall in Houston.  They had a huge 2-story window by the entrance about 25-30 ft high.  There was a Fiddle Leaf Fig growing there that went all the way to the ceiling.  They had to periodically whack it off at the top.  They can get huge, this one had SSW light.

I don't see this one lasting. It's just so particular. I can grow other things pretty well but this plant is testing my patience. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Enjoy your purchase! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Good to know, @vonIam ,  thanks for the growing info (if I ever work up the nerve to get a real fiddle leaf!)

That settles it, @Judaline ,  I am hunting up some wood blocks as previously suggested, or your brick idea, and give my tree some instant growth too!