Honored Contributor

Re: Urinals in a home bathroom

I think it's a great idea.  Your male guests will be so appreciative (I think).

Respected Contributor

My husband's ex-boss (& partner) had one.  It was a multi-million dollar home, just gorgeous.  I must say I was taken by surprised when we saw it during the house tour.  It works for them.  My husband loves the idea but it will never happen in my house.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My brother raised 11 sons. The BR on the floor where their bed room was had urinals along one wall. My brother got them and some showers & sinks for free  when a local school was torn down, then he built a BR to fit it all.

Practical, but extreme.

Never in my house

Reason #94 of why I will never re-marry!

I do have an elderly male family member who visits--he sits.   Bless him.

Respected Contributor

IMO it's Yucky! Icky! Nasty! Disgusting! and aesthetically displeasing.

I would never want one in my bathroom.  My bathroom and the guest bathroom are one in the same. I don't live in a big newer home with an en suite. If I ever discovered someone using my bathtub, shower or sink as a urinal, it would be the last time they were ever welcomed in my house!

However, I do think what @151949's brother did was a good thing! Not many have 11 boys and having it on their bedroom floor was a great idea! I'm sure those boys as adults realize that this is not the norm for most homes.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

i would much rather have bidets installed than urinals!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm telling ya, I'm seriously thinking about one for the bathroom that is used primary by the males in the house.  You THINK they don't miss the toilet? You THINK you clean really well? Take a blue light and look around.....it goes EVERYWHERE!

The only problem is that then they'd use MY bathroom for pooping. I'd have to buy Poo Pourri in bulk to handle their stink.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I did a little research and discovered that urinals are apparently growing in popularity. I also discovered that some, possibly many, men use either the tub/shower or bathroom sink (if they're tall enough) as urinals now which makes the need for a separate urinal less vital. I'm not one of those men, but apparently it's fairly common.

@gardenman

They sound like "common pigs!"💩😱

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher My brother actually took down all the walls on the second floor of his house - just posts to support the third floor - turned it into a barracks type room for the boys. Bed, dresser - bed ,dresser - bed, dresser etc all around the room, then added that BR. He also added an enclosed stairway so you could get to the third floor without going thru the boys room.On the third floor was a bedroom for their only daughter, the master bedroom and a bathroom.

When all the kids were grown up they sold that house to a couple who also had a slew of kids and moved to Florida.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I did a little research and discovered that urinals are apparently growing in popularity. I also discovered that some, possibly many, men use either the tub/shower or bathroom sink (if they're tall enough) as urinals now which makes the need for a separate urinal less vital. I'm not one of those men, but apparently it's fairly common.

If your research is true, it's disgusting.  I suppose they also pee in the pool?  Words fail me.  If they are such pigs, I doubt a urinal will change anything.

As for my home, no, no and no.

Esteemed Contributor

As the only female in the household ... before we added a bathroom in the basement used mainly by my two sons when they were preteens and beyond, until they left for college, I always ... always made sure I had on my house shoes before going to the main bathroom upstairs!