Honored Contributor

Just wondering in anyone has put a urinal in their bathroom.  I don't see them in any floor plans I've been studying.  Seems like a practical idea that isn't popular but if we build a small cottage, I said to DH that it would cut down on water consumption when weekend guests visit. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Urinals in a home bathroom

no

Respected Contributor

Gross. Urinals stink. 

Respected Contributor

What about one of the newer dual flush toilets that don't use as much water?  

Honored Contributor

Yuck.    Just one more thing to clean.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My brother raised 11 sons. The BR on the floor where their bed room was had urinals along one wall. My brother got them and some showers & sinks for free  when a local school was torn down, then he built a BR to fit it all.

Respected Contributor

Being a woman, I think it is an excellent idea.  Urinals smell because people don't flush them.  You won't get any misses when they go, so the whole bath should be cleaner.  Ideally, it would have a hole to put it in so nothing would escape, but they don't make them like that.

@151949 I love what your brother did.  What an ingenious plan!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like the suggestion for dual flush toilets.  Makes more sense as women could use it too.

Honored Contributor

I did a little research and discovered that urinals are apparently growing in popularity. I also discovered that some, possibly many, men use either the tub/shower or bathroom sink (if they're tall enough) as urinals now which makes the need for a separate urinal less vital. I'm not one of those men, but apparently it's fairly common.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

Well, if that's the case I would rather have a urinal  in the BR than the possibility of someone using my shower or sink.  As far as stink like someone else said, they flush, do they not?  Toilets stink if not cleaned.  Keep the urinal flushed and cleaned and I wouldn't think there would be an issue.  We are talking private home here, not the rest room at some public place.