Honored Contributor

Update on Luminara Taper Candles

I bemoaned on here a while back that my beloved tapers were behaving erratically.  They light up perfectly, boom, and sometimes go for hours without a glitch.  But then one, or sometimes both of them will freeze.  You get the lit flame, but not the flicker and movement.

Hubs is an engineer, and I've had him troubleshoot and rescue a number of my purchase "fails" in the past, but even he can't fix.  A very helpful poster said she has had luck with slipping a dime under the holder, in case there's a problem with the candle being perfectly straight.  Doesn't help my candles, unfortunately.  Hubby agrees that the balance and erectness of the candles probably plays a role in how they function.

There have been enough reviews complaining of the same problem that I'm reluctant to send back and try again.  But I love them!   The tall, slender white tapers look so good in my various vintage candlesticks.

Maybe I can become fond of the "still flame" look..... I'm serious.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Luminara Taper Candles

@Oznell

I have the tapers in red & white and I've also read the negative reviews, but I've never had any problem with either set and I've had them 6 months or more.

If you love them, I would return as defective and re-order, as not all of them have problems.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom, wow, that is good to hear that yours have worked perfectly for beyond 6 months. Your advice is good, and that's what my husband said too.  Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

They are so beautiful, and no dripping wax down the candlesticks!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I bemoaned on here a while back that my beloved tapers were behaving erratically.  They light up perfectly, boom, and sometimes go for hours without a glitch.  But then one, or sometimes both of them will freeze.  You get the lit flame, but not the flicker and movement.

Hubs is an engineer, and I've had him troubleshoot and rescue a number of my purchase "fails" in the past, but even he can't fix.  A very helpful poster said she has had luck with slipping a dime under the holder, in case there's a problem with the candle being perfectly straight.  Doesn't help my candles, unfortunately.  Hubby agrees that the balance and erectness of the candles probably plays a role in how they function.

There have been enough reviews complaining of the same problem that I'm reluctant to send back and try again.  But I love them!   The tall, slender white tapers look so good in my various vintage candlesticks.

Maybe I can become fond of the "still flame" look..... I'm serious.

If you bought them after about Sept. 25th of 2017, you can still return them as defective. The holiday return policy is still in effect.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

That's too bad.  They are lovely candles, but too pricey for something that doesn't work very long.

All of my Luminara's died in just over a year.  Nothing I tried made them work.

I did try to resolve with Luminara without any response.

Trashed them = will never buy again.

Honored Contributor

I have at least 20 Luminara candles of different types and sizes, some that I've had since they first came to QVC and not a single one has stopped working.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'll buy no other brand.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It is quite striking the range of experiences people seem to have with them.  In my case, these tapers are wonky, but the chunky pillars I've had for several years have never faltered.

I can see why the tapers might be a bit more temperamental than the solid, wide pillars.  They have to squeeze the whole flicker mechanism into a smaller, narrower space.  Then, instead of placing the tapers on a solid, flat surface, like you do with pillars, you are presumably balancing them in a candlestick with a thin opening, and it is a little harder for them to sit perfectly straight, perhaps.

I have always loved thin candles-- the way they look in old candlesticks.  I've tried mine in some wooden English barley twist candlesticks, some pewter ones, and some iron and brass.  They're so romantic, (when they work!) and more than almost anything, they so moodily remind me of past eras-- the Middle Ages, or Victorian times.  So evocative...

Thanks all for your feedback.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry you had issues with your Luminara tapers. 

I have owned six Luminara candles over the past few years.  Only one or two purchased through QVC.  Every single one of them stopped working within six months of purchasing.  Every single one of them had the same issue.  Eventually, they would start flashing instead of the steady flicker.  We tried changing the batteries.  No luck.  We changed the brand of batteries and that didn't work.  I will never purchase another Luminara candle again.

I do have a nice collection of Candle Impressions.  Some of them have the wick and some are from the Mirage collection.  Most I have had ten plus years.  Every single one of the CI candles are still glowing and going strong! 

Some people have had excellent results with Luminara.  Sadly, I am not one of them.