Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh.....My house making me nauseated & sick (paint)

Low or No VOC paints! 

I'm thinking of painting with (Annie Sloan's) chalk paint if I do any more rooms.

I use Chalk Paint exclusively for furniture now and LOVE it!

Paint odors--not good for your health.  And I don't believe it's just a *temporary thing*.

Esteemed Contributor

I feel bad for you, but so glad you have an alternative place with your friend. We had our town home scheduled to be painted last year (interior). The painters came in and had bought oil based paint in my chosen color, but told us we might want to vacate for a few days - he noticed that my DH uses oxygen. I told him absolutely not! I had never agreed to an oil based paint and told him to go back to the paint store and get a water based paint. He did that and we were good....the odor only lasted a few hours. Hubby never could have endured that oil based paint.

Respected Contributor

I agree No VOC paint is the way to go.    Since we have a bird and guinea pigs I am fanatic about anything used in our house that might have any kind of an odor that would cause them problems.

When we painted our living room and dining room we used Benjamin Moore No VOC paint and there was absolutely no unpleasant paint odor whatsoever.  I have a very sensitive nose and can pick up on odors immediately.  

Even if we didn't have our pets I would still use No VOC paint just because I think it's much better for the environment.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your comments & concerns!!!

Yesterday, we had the windows open & fans going (Duke Energy is gonna love me!) with air on 71 to keep it cool and air circulating.

We cleaned and started putting things back in order.

I called my painter who I've used for years & advised him to please inform his clients if he must use oil based paint as many have adverse reactions like me I'm sure.   He was very concerned about my health &  offered to pay for hotel room, refund me a % of the price.  Not necessary, but he said he will from now on remember to tell clients.  (he's been in business over 25 years).

Anyway, today it is much better and smell very faint.  The wall paint was Behr Marquis.  I had the other rooms painted previously and had no problems.  It was the oil based which caused the odor.

Thank goodness there is nothing left to be painted ...I'm done.  Next big project is updating guest bathroom -- next year after I decide if necessary.

Time to relax & enjoy a fresh clean updated home🙂

Thanks again & happy weekend.

🙂

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

p.s. 

Fumes like that could probably k*ll a newborn, baby, pet, bird.

Let's remember that their lungs and vital organs are teeny-tiny.

And..........they have nowhere to go. They're just plain stuck in the fumes.

Adults can go outside and get some fresh air, etc.  And our lungs probably can, more or less, handle

more insult/injury to our system(s). 

Parents: Be careful around babies/children/pets.

And the elderly, too.  Very sensitive at that age.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@haddon9 

yes he used it on walls problem was the doors & trim were previously painted by other owners with oil based paint & he tried another type of paint.  Within a day it peeled off that's why according to him oil based latex had to be used.

That is what we are dealing with. Previous doors and trim were painted with oil based and repainting with latex will peel off.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I'm all checked in for a few day stay at my gf's house...got to ❤️ her -- she's in bed left me note: "coffee ready for AM just push button" and fridge stocked "help yourself"!

I still can't believe this😳😡

-----

No doubt the humidity is making it worse. I only paint when the dew point is low.

Esteemed Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@haddon9 

yes he used it on walls problem was the doors & trim were previously painted by other owners with oil based paint & he tried another type of paint.  Within a day it peeled off that's why according to him oil based latex had to be used.

That is what we are dealing with. Previous doors and trim were painted with oil based and repainting with latex will peel off.

@granddi, What a pain! To resolve this, sand, if possible, because latex does not sand well.  Then clean with TSP or similar.  Then apply a good oil based primer.  There will probably be odors from this but it's a necessary step.  Then paint with a good quality latex based trim paint.  It will say something like acrylic enamel.  

Something I've learned, fixing what others did wrong here and talking to pros, is that a quality oil-based primer should always be used on top of any existing oil based paint, before proceeding to apply latex paint.  The joys of owning an older house.  :-(

Note: It may sound odd to buy an oil based primer and a latex based paint, but that is the ideal combination when switching over from oil based painted surface to latex.  HTH someone.

@homedecor1  So glad your fumes finally went away.