Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh.....My house making me nauseated & sick (paint)

p.s.  There are low and no odor paints out there in the market.

No VOC's, etc.

People I know have been happy with the No or low odor types.

I believe that they are latex.

Maybe even special paints for baby's rooms are available.  Less chemicals, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

yes he used it on walls problem was the doors & trim were previously painted by other owners with oil based paint & he tried another type of paint.  Within a day it peeled off that's why according to him oil based latex had to be used.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

. . .

I had the first part done 6 months ago & I never remember paint fumes like this.  I asked my painter today -- the doors, trim, were painted with oil based paint.

. . . 

That's because there's more water vapor in the air now.

The air is denser and 'holds onto' the paint molecules that carry that smell. Those molecules will continue to be released into the air as the paint drys.

Try to set up an air exchange with a window fan exhausting air out, and another window either across the room or across the house letting fresh air in.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 I wouldn't know about that but in the future I would let your painter know that you have a severe allergy to oil based paint & odor.  Maybe there is something (sanding or adding a primer?) they can do to alleviate the problem of peeling paint without using oil paints.

I hope it's all dried soon & the smell is soon gone!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

FYI:  The next owner can have that job😉!!!! 

This is the final phase of my house remodel that's been over a year! As they say -- one little thing leads to another!  This remodel (update) has been a long process & I need a break -- so does my 👛💰💸.

Thank you for your concerns -- I may be wrong but for sure it was oil based and painter told me no other option & yes, fumes would linger for days😳

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

Sorry for your issues, hope they resolve soon.  Just think of your great looking home!

I have never had your problem, but the last time we painted my Labrador got sick - nausea/vomiting.  He and I had go stay with his Grandpa. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

How awful!   Would running a dehumidifier help?

Honored Contributor

Who paints with oil based paint anymore?? Just use water base and you'll have a lovely paint job with out any odor whatsoever. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

That's terrible!  I have a friend who is a career painter.  He has run his own business for years, and when he paints for me, he asks for low VOC paint for that reason.

He knows first hand what you are going through.  That stinks, literally.  Nice that you had a place to escape to.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I get the same reaction.  I can't use any kind of varnish either.  You're doing all you can do.  Hope the smell goes away soon.