Honored Contributor

Ugh.....My house making me nauseated & sick (paint)

I am sick from the latex oil based paint used in my house😳.

Has anyone else had ill effects from paint?  It's 89 degrees & high humidity but I have windows open!  The smell is literally killing me -- feels like I can't breath.

Any suggestions?  I'm moving out to a friends house until the smell is gone😮

Frequent Contributor

Re: Ugh.....My house making me nauseated & sick (paint)

@homedecor1 My children had the same type of reaction to the paint the last time we painted.  Unfortunately, it was during winter so opening the windows was not an option.  I did put on our air purifier and ran a fan in the room that we painted with the door closed.  It seemed to give them some relief.  They have never had any reaction until recently.  I am wondering if something has changed in the paint formulas that is causing reactions.  I hope you begin to feel better soon.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   I have the same problem.  You're doing the best thing... moving out for a few days.  Feel better!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qshpr89 

I have all the fans on & I have two air purifiers.  I actually called my son last night (after they painted yesterday) I thought I was having heart attack.  My breathing is labored & tightness in my chest.  Of course, my son said "why you calling me I'm 1500 miles away --call 911🙄,".

I had the first part done 6 months ago & I never remember paint fumes like this.  I asked my painter today -- the doors, trim, were painted with oil based paint.

Its terrible feeling I've never had a reaction like this😡.  I'm heading to my friends house -- I feel nasuateated (sp)  and migraine headache -- what a mess☹️

Honored Contributor

@ItsME @qshpr89 

Thank you and I thought it was ME because hadn't bothered my spouse at all!!!

Since 2 years ago I had bronchitis & pneumonia my "breathing" has been compromised I'm sure!

Honored Contributor

Actually one of daughters since childhood has reacted that way to paint.  Whenever we did any painting in the house or on the house; she'd have to go and stay with my sister or her godmother for a week.  When her husband painted the upstairs rooms of their house, she brought the baby and stayed with us for almost a week.  He kept all the windows open and had fans running to air it out so she could come home.  When she was a kid, I just thought she didn't like the smell of paint and was being overy dramatic.  Now I understand that paint smell and a few other chemical smells overwhelm her and make her sick.   

Esteemed Contributor

Ugh!  That's rough waiting for oil based paint to dry in that heat. My dad always used an oil base and painted in spring as soon as the forecast allowed for open windows. You're lucky to have a place to escape to for a night or two.

Honored Contributor

'Don't get me started'..............

First of all, the oil-based trim paint is probably what's bothering you.

Happened to me years and years ago.

I told the handyman to use acrylic or latex paint.

Well...........he used alkyd paint instead.

Very STRONG odor.

Seriously, I'm shocked that I didn't have to go to the ER.

'Anyhow', I'm sensitive to many strong odors.

Again, years ago, I was waiting in a medical waiting room.  The building's painting or carpet people were using some sort of strong glue or chemical.   It smelled like a huge vat of strong glue.

Anyway, this new mother and baby were sitting in the waiting room, baby screaming and crying in distress.

I suggested to her that she should leave the waiting room area (because of the harmful fumes), so she asked to be placed in one of the examining rooms in the back of the office with windows.

I, on the other hand, ended up with a two day migraine.  Sick as a d*g.  Nauseated, etc. 

I've often wondered if the newborn/baby was ok. after all of that chemical exposure. 

After all, their lungs and heart and respiratory system are very, very tiny.

Wishing all dependant babies and children well. 

(We, as adults can keep away, but the young ones have no voice in matters such as this. )

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm all checked in for a few day stay at my gf's house...got to ❤️ her -- she's in bed left me note: "coffee ready for AM just push button" and fridge stocked "help yourself"!

I still can't believe this😳😡

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We only use water based paint.  It dries quickly and I don't remember much of an odor.  The finish is still good quality.

ETA:  I thought latex was water based not oil based paint.