Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ugh! My 4 year old GE Profile appliances have "died"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The old Kenmore appliances were the best ever made!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@stevieb

I think you're right - not much longevity in many things these days!!!

My parents always had Hotpoint and I still have my mothers Electrolux (old old old) but boy it weighs a ton but sure keeps on going! (I use it to vacumn my car & small areas).

Oh my gosh @homedecor1... I remember those old Electrolux vaccums... My mom had one growing up and yes, that thing was heavy, but it never stopped working...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The really unfortunate thing about built in obsolescence is that with there now being SO many people in the world... sooner or later a large percentage are going to replace things anyway... but I guess that doesn't give the big corporations the profits they crave... So instead of offering a first rate product built to last, they maximize their profits by designing and selling what are essentially less well built products than what they could offer... and have offered in the past... Is it a matter of survival or of greed...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I only have one major GE appliance in my house.  It is a stove/oven.  It is 23 years old and still working.  I guess I got a good GE.

Honored Contributor

My brother in law was an appliance repairman for Sears. 

His take on it is that there are no 'good' brands anymore. So many are made on the same lines, with just different nameplates on them. It is simply a matter of luck if you get one from a good run. Everything you knew about the 'best' brand of this or that is no longer relevant. Even if I have a great product that I bought 10 years ago, I can't rely that that brand will be great today. And you will never find the same model with all the features you were used to and loved either. they change them like we change our underwear!

I hate appliance shopping!

Valued Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Our stainless GE Profile microwave didn't last long beyond its warranty either.  ☹️

Our GE Spacemaker microwave (over the stove) is 25 years old & I am not kidding..we use it everyday! My husband installed it himself while we were moving into our home..our oldest kitchen appliance.

I refuse to replace it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

My 4 year move-in date was 4/16 and last week my microwave & dishwasher "bit the dust".  I called repairman charges $75/appliance & $35 service call fee😬 Before he even looks at them.

im mad I'm thinking appliances should last longer than 4 years!!! I thinking it's cheaper to buy new ones!!! I won't buy Samsung or GE again, any suggestions.

@homedecor1

I wouldn't call a repairman for the microwave --- buy a new one.

As for the dishwasher - depends on how much u paid, etc. I don't repair appliances, I just replace. For washers, dryers, refrigerators, the repair people usually start at $200 and up!!!! Not worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

dupl 

Honored Contributor

@kivah

paid $500 + install fee 4 years ago, but, I agree by the time the charge for service call, diagnostic fee, parts --it's probably cheaper OR better to buy a new one! 

(Plus, the guy who did my kitchen remodel drilled it into my cabinet & I see the cabinet is splintered...hoping this won't pose another problem! But that's normally my luck in the home repair part of life😩😖😱)

Esteemed Contributor

I remodeled my kitchen about 10 years ago.I replaced all my kitchen appliances with Fridgdaire brand appliances.I put in a new microwave,oven,dishwasher,& refrigerator.Right afterwards my washer/ dryer went & they were also replaced with a Fridgdaire brand washer/dryer.I never had a problem with these appliances.I would definitely recommend the brand!!