Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! My 4 year old GE Profile appliances have "died"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[ Edited ]

I had a fear that all of my appliances would die at the same time since they came with my newly constructed house.

Fortunately they have died one at a time.  Unfortunately, the ones I want to die, won't.

That's always the way.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I think there's a market for "bullet-proof" appliances but, the problem is once you've satisfied that market you've put yourself out of business. They'd be very expensive to manufacture using mostly all stainless steel/composites and extremely high quality, millitary/NASA spec parts, and over engineered, but they'd last forever. They could then be handed down generation after generation and you (the manufacturer) would be out of business.

It's kind of hard to convince a company to make a product that then puts them out of business. Consumers have more or less come to accept that they have to replace their appliances on a fairly routine basis.

To build something that's bullet proof costs a lot more and most consumers shop with price in mind. Manufacturers always end up cutting corners/compromising to keep costs in check and that means that a component that could last fifty years, may be replaced with a far cheaper component that will last ten years to keep their price lower to make their product more atractive to the buyers.

How do you convince a consumer to pay $3000 for a dishwasher that will last them for generations? How do you convince them that a $10,000 refrigerator that looks and functions like a $1,000 refrigerator is a good investment? Many, if not most people prefer to spend less upfront and have to replace the product down the road rather than tie up so much money upfront. (Take the $9,000 you save by buying the cheaper fridge and invest it in a large stock that averages a 10% return over the long term and you'd get back $900 in the first year alone which would pretty much allow you to replace that $1000 appliance every single year if need be.)

Even the government has largely forced many manufacturers to make less reliable products in name of energy saving. Those lovely yellow stickers on the front of every appliance in the stores showing the energy costs for that appliance forces manufacturers to do whatever they can to keep their products at a lower level of energy use. That often means using smaller, lighter parts, to make the device more energy efficient. A bullet proof appliance made to last forever, might need an extension (or two) on the end of it's yellow sticker showing how much more energy it uses than a model with a smaller, lighter motor and less durable components.

The reality is that there are a lot of forces conspiring to make appliances less reliable. Market forces, government regulations, and more all contribute to the problem. Any company that tries to make a bullet proof product better have one heck of a sales pitch, for they'll need it. And even if they manage to market the product, they're largely putting themselves out of business. Unless you can find a way to make a bullet proof appliance at nearly the same cost as a more fragile product, you just won't sell it in the numbers you need.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

@gardenman  I totally get what your saying , but it would be much better if they could last about 10 years. They cost a fortune - you should have reasonable expectations that they will last awhile.

Honored Contributor

There's another thread about a GE washer that died an early death, after only a few years.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an appliance to last many years.   It's annoying to have to replace or repair, it's not like dropping off your dry cleaning.    

My late mom had a Maytag and yes they last forever but she was never happy with the results.   I have a 14 year old Kenmore washer, it's only needed 1 repair and I fixed it myself, thanks to youtube.  In the other thread, posters recommended Speed Queen.

Personally, I would never buy one of this "cadillac" appliances.   Too many bells & whistles and we are made to feel guilty if we don't buy the old-school appliances are not efficient.  sure they look good but unless you have the time & money for the maintainance, I'll pass.

Esteemed Contributor

MY GE profile dishwasher, microwave, cook top and washer dryer are still,going after 10"years.  THe double ovens are still fine too although one of the ovens needed a new electronic control panel a couple of years ago at a cost of $400.00

My 5 year old Samsung refrigerator has needed multiple repairs which were covered under the extended warranty I bought.  I will never buy a Samsung appliance again.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for NO GE appliances EVER!!  At least not if you need it to work.

I would avoid Bosch DW, every single person I know who have one love it when it works, but have formed close person relationships with the repairman.  Even when Bosch pays for repairs it is an all day event waiting for the one authorized repairman to show up.  However if you are retired or have nothing else to do, this could be okay.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I would avoid Bosch DW, every single person I know who have one love it when it works, but have formed close person relationships with the repairman.  Even when Bosch pays for repairs it is an all day event waiting for the one authorized repairman to show up.  However if you are retired or have nothing else to do, this could be okay.  

I had a Bosch DW when we lived up north for 11 years - never any repairs and it NEVER left any thing on my dishes. Plus was totally silent - You could be standing right beside it and you'd have to put your ear right next to it to hear it running.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I totally agree with you on all counts!  The best advice I got from repairemen and several salespeople (off the record). Buy the cheapest out there and change every 4-6 years when they go,  None are built to last longer.

Honored Contributor

I think what companies who make high end/expensive items are selling to people who renovate every few years and upgrade to new appliances with fancier features.

I like basic and dial vs digital.   In everything.

The dealership lent me a 2017 Toyota SUV.  The car practically drives itself.  There were so many warnings, beeps, pages of dialogue that popped up on the screen on the dash board I am surprised I didn't get into an accident driving the 2.5 miles to my house.  I don't need my car talking to me, either. 

Just do the thing I bought you to do, do it well, and we will be great friends.  LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN