Respected Contributor

Re: Ugh! My 4 year old GE Profile appliances have "died"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

@homedecor1 wrote:

My 4 year move-in date was 4/16 and last week my microwave & dishwasher "bit the dust".  I called repairman charges $75/appliance & $35 service call fee😬 Before he even looks at them.

im mad I'm thinking appliances should last longer than 4 years!!! I thinking it's cheaper to buy new ones!!! I won't buy Samsung or GE again, any suggestions.

@homedecor1, you're lucky your GE appliances lasted that long.  Ours lasted one month after the one year warranty and GE would not help us.  

I will never buy a GE again.  

Appliances should last many, many years with no problems because they cost so much.  They are disposable now; sickening.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I wouldn't have GE appliances in my home even if they were given to me! I have Samsung and Kitchenaid products and love them! Haven't had one problem with them! 

KA are very expensive -- Samsung has a terrible reputation. Beside all that - GE appliances are built in Kentucky - BUY AMERICAN - though I admit they are owned by a foreign company - at least they create jobs in the USA.

GE appliances are assembled in Kentucky with foreign parts!!  (A lot of appliances are like that).

Whirlpool makes Maytag.

Esteemed Contributor

Our stainless GE Profile microwave didn't last long beyond its warranty either.  ☹️

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

My 4 year move-in date was 4/16 and last week my microwave & dishwasher "bit the dust".  I called repairman charges $75/appliance & $35 service call fee😬 Before he even looks at them.

im mad I'm thinking appliances should last longer than 4 years!!! I thinking it's cheaper to buy new ones!!! I won't buy Samsung or GE again, any suggestions.

@homedecor1, you're lucky your GE appliances lasted that long.  Ours lasted one month after the one year warranty and GE would not help us.  

I will never buy a GE again.  

Appliances should last many, many years with no problems because they cost so much.  They are disposable now; sickening.

Well, as I have said here many times - I have builder grade GE appliances all thru my house for 7 years now, and except for the washer they are all going along fine. I purchased a Hotpoint washer to replace the GE because it was the least expensive one they had - under $500 - and it came with a 5 year warranty.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1, I understand your pain and frustration.  When we remodeled our kitchen, we purchased all Kenmore Elite appliances, which had always been our go-to and our friend was the salesperson.  That was six years ago.  We had to completely replace the fridge as it could not be fixed; in fact, this was the second fridge within a week because the first one did not work at all when we first purchased.  The appliance guy did not even charge us, but he did tell us what to look for when we got our new one last spring.  We have also replaced the microwave, and our gas stove is on its last legs.  I guess appliances are no longer meant to last more than a few years.  The only thing that still works is our bargain basement dishwasher that we bought about 15 years ago.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Wow that's crazy. I lived in a new home with GE Profile appliances for almost 10 years and they were great!  Still going strong when we recently moved. Have they gone downhill that much in the last 10 years???

Respected Contributor

BTW, I have a LG washer and dryer about 4 years old and all of my new appliances except for the range are LG. Knock on wood, all is good!

Trusted Contributor

I have had trouble with all my GE profiles. my stove been repaired at least 3 times in 5 years, my microwave died after 3 years, my dishwasher repaired many times.. just died. Just purchased a bosch one. The salesman told me Ge products do not last long.  I am done with GE products.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't care where appliances (or anything else...) are made IF they don't stand the test of time and don't give me value for my dollar... GE is not the brand it used to be. I'm not sure any of them are. Appliances are built to fall apart after a certain amount of time so we're forced to spend big bucks to replace them. The days of quality workmanship and pride in a brand are, sadly, over... For years, my parents always purchased GE appliances because they were solid... When my mother replaced her kitchen appliances a few years ago, she bought GE and both the dishwasher and the refrigerator have proven to be unreliable... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

Wow that's crazy. I lived in a new home with GE Profile appliances for almost 10 years and they were great!  Still going strong when we recently moved. Have they gone downhill that much in the last 10 years???

It appears they have... 

I've also not heard much good about most Samsung or LG appliances... 

When I can, I stick with Whirlpool, but I think it's the luck of the draw...

Whoever said buy the cheapest available with the desired features and just expect to replace them every several years probably has the right idea...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...