Honored Contributor

Ugh! My 4 year old GE Profile appliances have "died"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[ Edited ]

My 4 year move-in date was 4/16 and last week my microwave & dishwasher "bit the dust".  I called repairman charges $75/appliance & $35 service call fee😬 Before he even looks at them.

im mad I'm thinking appliances should last longer than 4 years!!! I thinking it's cheaper to buy new ones!!! I won't buy Samsung or GE again, any suggestions.

Regular Contributor

Re: Ugh! My 4 year old GE Profile appliances have "died"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Oh no. yikes. Well, I feel for you. Short of finding a time travel machine to take you back to the 1980s or earlier to buy an appliance and bring it back.....I don't have much good advice! They do NOT make things like they used to, that is for sure!  We have had the same issue with dishwashers and washing machines and dryers purchased in the past 10 years, that just do NOT hold up! Same deal as you....you get gouged once the unit is out of warranty. My mom has a washing machine and dryer that are EACH 30 YEARS OLD! They are both Kenmore models (Sears). The first and only repair she ever needed, just recently happened on the dryer. Nothing too too major -- the belt broke, and so it would not tumble. It cost us a little over $200 to fix --- which was insane, considering the belt was under $30!!! Don't even get me started on how horrible Sear's out of warranty service is (they job out the work to horrible sub contractors). We ended up going with a different repair shop. Yet still.....just ONE repair in 30+ YEARS? AMAZING!  And the washer hasn't had any issues. *knock on wood*

We did buy my mom some new appliances back in 2011, and they are working great (dishwasher, fridge, oven). Those are Fridgedaire and Whirlpool models. So, maybe check on those brands?  We did have one minor issue with the fridge, two years ago. We ended up purchasing an extended warranty. The first year cost us $200, but that was cheaper than buying her a new fridge! It is only $65/year thereafter, which is totally worth it, imho.  I would highly rec you get the extended warranty when purchasing an expensive larger appliance. I used to think those were a waste of money, but seeing how poorly appliances are made nowadays, they are a good insurance to have.

Valued Contributor

I hear you!  My LG's stove and fridge made it 5 years so far.  Spoke with salesperson and he stated that they usually don't last any longer than 5-7 years.  I had a washer and dryer I believe it was Kenmore they lasted me 20 years before they bit it.  They just don't make things like they use to.  By the way I was shocked at the price of a stove and fridge are now.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Honored Contributor

I've had 3 starter switches on my 3 yr old LG washer & < 2 yr old Samsung dryer needed motor work at 2 yrs.  Independent repair said many who work on them swear by Maytag.  My dad always buys USED Maytag washers & dryers & they seem to last longer.  Going Maytag next.

17 yr old & still going strong Dacor micro and double oven.

My rule is never pay 50% or above of the cost of new for a repair.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

yea..that 18 year old washer with no repairs i mentioned was a Maytag ....

Honored Contributor

ALL of your appliances died at the same time????????

Honored Contributor

We have lived in our house for 7 years now. We have ALL builder grade GE appliances. So far my washer has had to be replaced because I used bleach to do the laundry and I was told here in Florida bleach will cause things to horribly rust out, and that is what happened to my washer.The tub literally fell out of the frame due to rust. Knocking on wood - the rest of our appliances are still going strong.

Honored Contributor

Oh I wouldn't have GE appliances in my home even if they were given to me! I have Samsung and Kitchenaid products and love them! Haven't had one problem with them! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I wouldn't have GE appliances in my home even if they were given to me! I have Samsung and Kitchenaid products and love them! Haven't had one problem with them! 

KA are very expensive -- Samsung has a terrible reputation. Beside all that - GE appliances are built in Kentucky - BUY AMERICAN - though I admit they are owned by a foreign company - at least they create jobs in the USA.

Honored Contributor

I feel your pain.   When I moved into my new home, I have all new builder grade GE appliances.  My dryer stopped shutting off automatically a few weeks after the one year warranty expired.

Like your situation, just to come out was $150 and the part (new dash board) was $180.  I did not want to invest $330 in a one year old dry that probably didn't even cost $330 at the time (1993).

So I just decided to wait for it to completely die and then replaced.

24 years  later and it's still going strong.  I just use my oven timer to know when to turn it off.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN