Honored Contributor

UPDATE on vinyl fence cleaning

I purchased a product called ZEP Foaming Bleach Cleaner.  It is a great product!!  There is a marked difference in the areas that I have cleaned vs the uncleaned sections.

You spray on, I just have to be careful that I spray the lattice and not the spaces inbetween...so I cannot rush the application, let the product set minimum 1 minute.  I use a tooth brush and or a long handled brush and scrub, then rinse.

I am happy...now if the weather would cooperate, I could get the entire fence cleaned in short order.  Rain in the forcast for days.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: UPDATE on vinyl fence cleaning

i give you alot of credit.....sounds like way too much work...hope you're pleased with your effort!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Is it possible to just pressure wash it without using a cleaner?

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I sprayed mine down with Wet & Forget.

Esteemed Contributor

I love when a product works! Does it smell like bleach? Do you have to be careful around ground vegetation? Did you ever try a magic eraser on the fence? Sorry for all the questions but this cleaning is coming up for me in the near future. Hope your weather clears up. 

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  No.  It needs to be scrubbed but the products works pretty well so I don't mind and as I clean the lattice I can clean the solid panels.

Honored Contributor

@godi  I did not notice a bleach smell and no, I have not used a magic eraser, I don't like them.  They crumble to quickly.  

The product reads to not use on vinyl, and I am not sure why.  I tested an area and had no issues.  I spray, let it sit scrub and rinse well.  I am not using it to clean the fence panels, just the lattice that sits at the top of the panels.

Bottle does warn of fumes but again I am outside using plenty of water.  I wear old clothes but I did not notice any bleach spots on my shirt or pants.

I was desperate to find a product and had tried many.  This one showed a marked difference.  Since this is for indoor use there are no warnings about vegetation.  It's not expensive, so you might as well give it a try...just rinse well.  Let me know if you use it.

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams The lattice is very dirty and needs a good scrubbing.

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Thanks for coming back with an update.  I'm so glad you found a product, I hope you don't have to work too hard!

Esteemed Contributor

I use Bio Cleaner and it does a good job. I get quite a bit of that green "gunk" on the white fencing and it removes it. It also seems to be safe around the grass and flowers. This year I'm going to try the past version to see if the goes quicker.