Esteemed Contributor

Re: U tube video of a woman who used to live in her car...

Quite a few people live in cars and vans nowadays.....for different reasons...I was watching some youtube videos about it...one lady I remember - oh I felt sorry for her - she had worked minimum wage jobs her entire life and when she retired, she could only draw a pittance --- she didn't even draw enough SS to live on, so she is living in her small auto.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

If she's living some place with no restroom facilities near by no telling what she's doing with her waste from that potty???

A utility trailer that I know of has no windows. It's a fire trap.

Exactly correct - and believe me she has it filled with krap.It is the type of trailer our landscapers bring the mowers here in.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You can camp for free on any fed land such as a National Forest where I live or a BLM property.

The state campground closest to me is $11 a nite with hookups and shower room. They offer tent/primative camping as well.

Amazon also offers free parking for their warehouse employees who earn so little they live in their vehicles.  WM offers free overnite parking if you are in a camper/trailer/RV and passing thru.

I've camped in many National Forests - and it was never free. You even have to put quarters in a box to get 5min of shower water.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Most state and federal parks will allow camping for up to 14 days in a row..then you are supposed to move along.  They discourage permanent residents.

Many Wall Mart  Parking Lots  no longer  allow overnight camping and you are only allowed to park your trailer in their lots if you are inside shopping. When you are done  shopping, you are required to leave.

Cracker Barrel will sometimes allow overnight parking..one night only, as well as some Cabelas.

Those parking lots draw armed criminals who break in or gain enterence to the RV and steal money, drugs and other goods from unsuspecting RVers.

Some walmarts do allow over night parking for 1 night.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@kittyloo wrote:

i didn't watch the u tube, but having a porta potty the kind you see at events and such, are very inexpensive to rent monthly, and they come and service them.

NO NO - it's the kind people have on a boat - it is 2 pieces a bottom where the tank is and the top where you sit on it. You put a chemical in the flush water so there is no odor and it turns solids to liquid.When you need to empty it , the 2 parts separate and you take the tank which hold probably 5 gallons - to a toilet and there is a hose you put in the toilet , then you have to hold the tank high enough for the liquid to drain into the toilet. It is heavy and very akward to empty, I was lucky that we had a place at our campground where you could empty it into a pipe in the ground , but if you have to use a toilet to empty it then you must hold it up pretty high, and it is heavy.

Anyway - totally different from what your talking about.

Can you perhaps not respond in such a manner that it makes us sorry we ever tried to help you?  You can provide clarification without getting snippy. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Most state and federal parks will allow camping for up to 14 days in a row..then you are supposed to move along.  They discourage permanent residents.

Many Wall Mart  Parking Lots  no longer  allow overnight camping and you are only allowed to park your trailer in their lots if you are inside shopping. When you are done  shopping, you are required to leave.

Cracker Barrel will sometimes allow overnight parking..one night only, as well as some Cabelas.

Those parking lots draw armed criminals who break in or gain enterence to the RV and steal money, drugs and other goods from unsuspecting RVers.

Some walmarts do allow over night parking for 1 night.

I agree, some do, but like I mentioned, many more don't.  In some areas of the country, they are not allowed to extend the offer by their local laws.   In other areas, they chose not to allow it. 

It has cost Walmart a lot of money letting campers spend the night.  Some campers have dumped their black water into the parking lot, started campfires, extended their awnings and pulled out their lawn chairs.  A few nuts have ruined it for many good campers.

The police will knock on your door in the middle of the night and make you move. You can even be fined.  They also do not allow Semi's to spend the night.

The next time you are at a Walmart, check and see....most Walmarts in Florida do not allow overnight parking including those in the Sarasota area.

There is a website that you can check ahead to see if they allow RV  parking, but you must also ask permission from the manager before you do. The list is not 100% updated.

Esteemed Contributor

No automatic alt text available.

Plastic bags are cheap!

Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse If you are speaking about @151949 response, I find nothing snippy about it. ???

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@GenXmuse If you are speaking about @151949 response, I find nothing snippy about it. ???

Neither did I.  

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

Neither did I.  

@Bridgegal. Me neither. But I think all her naysayers finally got her banned. Hope they are happy. I’m not.