Honored Contributor

U tube video of a woman who used to live in her car...

but now lives in a 10 x6 utility trailer. I watched both videos. In both cases I was curious where she parks. She only lives on $800/month so that isn't enough to pay for a campground site - even one with no water & electric. She uses a porta potty - so I also wonder where she empties that.Those are heavy to carry and difficult for one person to hold over a toilet to empty when full.(we used to have one on our boat, so I have emptied it many times) Has anyone watched her on u tube?
Honored Contributor

Re: U tube video of a woman who used to live in her car...

You could reply to her videos on YouTube with your questions. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

i didn't watch the u tube, but having a porta potty the kind you see at events and such, are very inexpensive to rent monthly, and they come and service them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo wrote:

i didn't watch the u tube, but having a porta potty the kind you see at events and such, are very inexpensive to rent monthly, and they come and service them.

NO NO - it's the kind people have on a boat - it is 2 pieces a bottom where the tank is and the top where you sit on it. You put a chemical in the flush water so there is no odor and it turns solids to liquid.When you need to empty it , the 2 parts separate and you take the tank which hold probably 5 gallons - to a toilet and there is a hose you put in the toilet , then you have to hold the tank high enough for the liquid to drain into the toilet. It is heavy and very akward to empty, I was lucky that we had a place at our campground where you could empty it into a pipe in the ground , but if you have to use a toilet to empty it then you must hold it up pretty high, and it is heavy.

Anyway - totally different from what your talking about.

Honored Contributor

My son-in-law's brother lives in Silicon Valley.  The houses are millions of dollars.

There are people who work at Google and some of the Tech companies who can't afford to live near there.  

He said there are trailers parked all around there where people actually live so they can work at these companies.

I saw this on the news but didn't believe it.  He recently visited my daughter and family so I directly asked him.

He said 'it's all true'.  He said these people don't make enough money to live anywhere near there, so they live in campers.

HERE YOU GO: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/29/low-income-workers-rvs-palo-alto-california-homeless

RVs along El Camino Real in Palo Alto.

Read the article.  There are many, this is just one!

Honored Contributor

We have one of those portable toilets on our boat.  I empty it if it has been used.  I never thought it was too heavy to handle, but it is not a job I enjoy..

yuck!

i looked up the weight of five gallons of water.  It's about 41 lbs.

There  is no way you would get five gallons of liquid in the tank using it as you are supposed to and no reason to only empty it when it is to the tippy top full. It would take a long, long time to fill up five gallons and by then, it would not smell pleasant.

Some of those portable toilets only hold 2.5 gallons.  They make a few sizes.

They also make portables toilets that do not need to be emptied and use no water.  Many people have them where they live off of the grid.

Honored Contributor

If she's living some place with no restroom facilities near by no telling what she's doing with her waste from that potty???

A utility trailer that I know of has no windows. It's a fire trap.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can camp for free on any fed land such as a National Forest where I live or a BLM property.

The state campground closest to me is $11 a nite with hookups and shower room. They offer tent/primative camping as well.

Amazon also offers free parking for their warehouse employees who earn so little they live in their vehicles.  WM offers free overnite parking if you are in a camper/trailer/RV and passing thru.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most state and federal parks will allow camping for up to 14 days in a row..then you are supposed to move along.  They discourage permanent residents.

Many Walmart  Parking Lots  no longer  allow overnight camping and you are only allowed to park your trailer in their lots if you are inside shopping. When you are done  shopping, you are required to leave.

Cracker Barrel will sometimes allow overnight parking..one night only, as well as some Cabbalas.

Those parking lots draw armed criminals who break in or gain entrance to the RV and steal money, drugs and other goods from unsuspecting RVers.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949If you are going to start a thread, please do not yell at other posters. Capital letters are yelling and angry. A porta potty seems like an odd thing to become upset over.

Money screams; wealth whispers.