Valued Contributor

Turning my kitchen desk into something like this

[ Edited ]

I have a built in desk in my kitchen which I never use. I'm working on making it into a Beverage station. I'm only going to add 2 shelves and not as much decor. Nor the wood wall. Not my picture. What would you change? FECC4BA6-0F90-4D5D-8EF6-C09C226EDDF7.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Turning my kitchen desk into something like this

That's a gem of an opportunity......so many possibilities.  Picture is terrible in design and contents.

Hit the design magazines for fresh practical and useful ideas.

Wish I had your problem = opportunity to create something spectacular!

Esteemed Contributor

I like this with the open shelves. No need to add sink or backsplash 

714BF6D3-07C3-4E9C-B2F8-D26E387740E8.jpeg

Respected Contributor

If it's a nook, accent color paint, wall paper, peelable stencil letters. Other ideas: chalk board, cake plate, canister, mug tree, special spoons, special cream container, a trivet, your favorite mugs, green Depression glass sugar & creamer by the Pioneer woman, a small retro clock, a related retro sign ...

Respected Contributor

Lucky you, @HonestLife, to be able to reclaim a space and make it your own.  But you can do a helluva lot better than that picture -- what a crowded, cluttered mess.  And what's the point of putting photos right under the ceiling?

Esteemed Contributor

If you have space , the small sink would be a good idea.  The fridge is a must  and one side of underneath cabinet is trash bin  with the other being  where you can store mugs, wine glasses ,  wine openers , ect.  I would not put a shelf directly  overtop of the coffee pot as it  lets out steam .  The pic shows the  shelves are only 3/4 as wide as the wall width which is a good idea for the lowest shelf.

Enjoy  working on your design.

Honored Contributor

That is a great idea if you don't use the desk.

Respected Contributor

That's a great idea to turn your unused desk into a coffee station.  I think two shelves should be enough.  If you drink wine I think the wine fridge is a great idea as well as is a trash can to dispose of coffee filters, k cups etc. 

Esteemed Contributor

That first shelf is too low if you need more height for an appliance. Too much stuff! 

Respected Contributor

For a full selection "beverage" area, having an undercounter refrigerater seems logical and very convenient.  Also room to store glassware and any barware.  

What is that brown thing on the wall in the photo?  A bottle cap remover?  Not a bad idea if an interesting one could be hung that fit the look.  Very convenient if bottled drinks were stored below.

Coffee makers vary in heighth so leave yourself space for future changes.

For anyone who would want an auto or semi auto espresso machine, you would also want a sink very close to dump water that accumulates in lower tray.