Honored Contributor

Traditional DR + Velvet Chairs

Honored Contributor

Re: Traditional DR + Velvet Chairs

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono Just no no no. Clunky, overdone, hate the colors.

And I loathe that light fixture.

Respected Contributor

I’m on the fence about the fabric on the chairs, but I like everything else about that room.

Trusted Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I’m on the fence about the fabric on the chairs, but I like everything else about that room.

Exactly the way I feel.  The chairs, while I like them, just ring a wrong note in that room, for me.

Honored Contributor

I like nothing in that room.

That heavy curtains and valances look so dated.

The flowers are gorgeous!

Respected Contributor

The actual shape and the nailhead detailing on the chairs is nice,

the fabric is a no fo me, as is everything else here also,

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Love this DR!

Very traditional. Formal toile window treatments,rug, bird print. The style and velvet fabric of the chairs. The color and print add the needed touch of whimsy and beg the people using the room not to take it all too seriously.

Also, love the chandelier! a unique spin on the traditional. Love the draped chain detail!

Trusted Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Love this DR!

Very traditional. Formal toile window treatments,rug, bird print. The style and velvet fabric of the chairs. The color and print add the needed touch of whimsy and beg the people using the room not to take it all too seriously.

Also, love the chandelier! a unique spin on the traditional. Love the draped chain detail!

I see your point about the chair fabric adding a touch of whimsy.  I think I'd like it better, though, if the chairs were a little more subdued, maybe echoing something in the rest of the room.  They're really very bold, for me, and just pop out too much.

But yes, it's a lovely room, and very traditional, something I love.  I agree about that bird print, and the chandelier.

It's funny how someone else will look at a room like this and think "dated".  I don't think traditional or vintage looks can ever be dated, can they?? Or is it they are dated just by virtue of the fact they are traditional and vintage.

I go for these looks in my own home because I love them.  I love the truly old-fashioned criss-cross curtains and have them in several windows.  I know full well people might consider them dated, but I love the look of them because they remind me of my childhood and beautiful sets I see in lots of forties and fifties movies.

I just successfully (after some failed attempts) sewed some swags and jabots for my living room windows and everytime I look at them they give me pleasure.

Love traditional.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It would make a lovely "tea room".........but I guess there are no restaurants like that any more.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A pretty room. I don't absolutely love everything about it, but it's pleasing to my eye. Not sure of the chair fabric, but it's attractive. Loving the colors in the flower arrangement.

Agree with you @blueroses47  that 'dated' is in the eye of the beholder and I don't see anything really dated in this room, rather, it's traditional in style... If the window featured heavy jabot pelmets or swags I might considered it a bit fussy and perhaps dated, but as it is, the valence is actually rather simple and not too fussy. I guess we all see things differently, which is probably as it should be...

Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...