Honored Contributor

Re: Toxic odor from La-Z-Boy

OSB is "oriented strand board" and it's stronger and more reliable than conventional hardwoods. It's typically used as beams in modern construction. It's typically baked to cure it and has little scent once properly cured.

The smell people tend to notice with new furniture is typically from the foam in the furniture and not the wood. Any new furniture that meets modern standards will not off-gas anything "toxic." The product may not smell pretty, but it's far from "toxic." Furniture makers aren't trying to kill their customers. Killing customers is bad for a business. Sauerkraut smells awful but isn't "toxic." Not all smells are inherently dangerous. Some things just smell bad but won't harm you.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I just bought a new loveseat and tables from a place in Cave Creek, Arizona. All handmade, no real wait time unless you want something specific such as size or color. They will make it according to your specifics. Real leather, real wood from real trees and the only smell is from the wood stain used and it smells wonderful, and the price is the same as the normal furniture stores around here. Not cheap but at least I'm getting something hand made my someone who cares about making quality products.  That's what I want from my furniture. 

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty Would you mind telling me the name of the Cave Creek store?

I live so close to Cave Creek.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of posted address

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman has a good description of OSB. It is considered durable.

That said, I purchased a new sectional from Ashley Home Store. I was surprised at the quality for the pricepoint and no odors!! 

ITA with the poster who said oders are usually from the foam.

Super Contributor

I think Gardenman is naive to think that furniture companies will not poison customers.  It's all about profit.  Quality of everything has gone downhill.  Ikea and a flooring company had recalls because of extreme Formaldehyde levels.  The flooring company was aware of selling a hazardous product and didn't care.  It's all about getting caught.

I got a response from La-Z-Boy.  I had asked what kind of glue is used in their OSB wood and if it's toxic.  They totally avoided my question and referred me to the furniture store where I bought the piece for 'replacement parts?'  Seems they avoid answering my question.  I have bought much cheaper recliners in the past and none of them had an odor like that.  BTW, I couldn't care less if OSB wood is tougher if it makes us sick.

Honored Contributor

@TW   You need to return it and complain about the smell.  You can order directly from Lazy Boy online so you know you are receiving an official chair,

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@TW  Just return the chair. You are not happy with it so they must take it back.They need to make arrangements to come pick it up.

Valued Contributor

I have a number of items from La-Z-Boy and all are of wonderful quality. I know that other members of my family have enjoyed their items that they have of La-Z-Boy as well. 

Perhaps speak to customer service re:issue.

Respected Contributor

@azgal wrote:

@Meowingkitty Would you mind telling me the name of the Cave Creek store?

I live so close to Cave Creek.

Me too! Inquiring minds.....

Muddling through...