Respected Contributor

Towels with hanging threads after washing! Why??

I bought some nice towels and after washing them, there were threads all over them! Anyone know why??

Honored Contributor

Re: Towels with hanging threads after washing! Why??

So weird! 

Were you using the same towel as me?!

This happened to me just the other day. I've never seen anything like it.

But my towel is very old and I also have a washer that has an agitator and I think it just got caught up too much in the agitation.

I was going to give the towel to the 

humane society but then I just cut the threads off and I think it will be ok.

I think I may put it in the wash on gentle cycle next time.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

I bought some nice towels and after washing them, there were threads all over them! Anyone know why??

@ellaphant     Cheap manufacturing is all I can say............the same thing happened to me.  The towels came out of the washer (a regular agitator) looking like garage rags.     (And I own some towels that look practically new , and they are decades old).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My current and former washing machines have been front-loaders which rotate and spin but don't have any agitator action.  I owned several previous  top-loading machines with agitators. 

Eventually all towels and clothing  in the old top-loaders with agitators wound up looking literally "like they had been through the wringer", because they actually had been.

I am a committed fan of front-load washers, because I value my clothes and linens and tend to keep them a long time.

Fabrics might be cheaply made these days, but several turns through an agitator-type machine can ruin just about anything.