Super Contributor

Top or front load washer/dryer

going to look for a new washer/ dryer. Currently we have a front load w/d issue with washer is the mold/smell. Dryer is broke.

Thank you

Trusted Contributor

Re: Top or front load washer/dryer

[ Edited ]

my mom has a front load one its about 3 yrs old..she had some water leaking from i want to say the rubber part on the inside of the door when you open it.. this went on for awhile and she called them to ask them to come look at it... they told her water accumilates in the seal and that she should wipe it out after every load... thats probably where the smell is coming from water building up within or under the seal causing mold... just my guess but same problem with my moms.  i also heard not to long ago to leave washer open afterwards to dry it out so that mold wont build up from the moisture which makes sense, i never thought of that............. but i personally like the top load ones

Super Contributor

I have heard that is typical for the front loaders to smell.  Many people have complained

about them.  I have a top load machine, and don't have any kind of a problem like that with

it.  I have always had top loaders my whole marriage ( 46 years last May ).  When I get

another one, it will be a top loader also.  Talk to the repair men at a few shops, and they

will give you some helpful information.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've never had a problem with my front loader Samsung washer with smelling. I follow the directions and after every 40 or so washings it notifies me to run its "pure cycle". That cycle cleans all the soap and gunk out of the washer. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Regular Contributor

I have the top loader gray Samsung washer and matching dryer.  They are 3 years old and are great!  Hate bending over for the side loaders and I have to use the top for folding.

Honored Contributor

Having had both, my recommendation is top loader, no agitator.

Honored Contributor

I've had both and don't have a preference either way.

I think the front loader cleans better though. 

Honored Contributor

I am using a front loader washer now in the rental I am in, but have a top loading washer at my house and prefer the top loader. Easier for me to load it instead of bending over for the front one. I leave the doors open on both so no funky smells

Honored Contributor

A lot of people in the past really regret their front loader purchases. 

I think you have to ask yourself what your true needs are in a washer, and then address your wants. 

I don't think you will really know if you like something new and different to you, until you live with it. 

I know for me, I have definite criteria for a washer. Top loader, full fill and hot water cycles. with load size choices I make, not the machine based on weight of load. I don't need any bells and whistles, just the basics. 

Your needs and wants will be different, but honestly a lot of what is available as options on cars, refrigerators, washers etc. is just more stuff to break and adds to the price, when something much simpler is just fine for our individual needs.

Try not to get caught up in all the glitz and glamor! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I was not a front loader fan until I purchased my new set of Smsung washer/dryer. I needed something to hold king size bedding so that's what sold me. It's a pain to pull that bedding from the top of the washer. (I also wash queen size bedding and it's still a pain) Now that I have one I really like it. I did purchase the storage drawers for under both. It puts the washer and dryer at the proper height so I'm not twisting my back pulling jeans, etc from the unit. It also is a great place for storing laundry supplies.

I did check on the forum for suggestions before I purchased the ones I have and am a big Consurmer Reports fan. Speed Queen has the regular models and seem to be well liked and work well.

I think it depends on what you wash, how large are your loads and how often do you wash. The one feature that I have on mine is the "Pure Cycle" wear the machine cleans the inner drum after so many loads. I do find this feature to be a big plus. I have dogs so I'm also washing dog blankets. throw rugs, etc. I do wash out the washer with some bleach water but this extra feature really keeps every load from any transfer.

Decide on what features you need and those that would be a nice extra. Stick to yoiur budget to help you decide.