Honored Contributor

Re: Top or front load washer/dryer

@Beautiful life wrote:

going to look for a new washer/ dryer. Currently we have a front load w/d issue with washer is the mold/smell. Dryer is broke.

Thank you

@Beautiful life 

It may also partly depend on your physical health. 

I find that it's hard enough to remove clothes from the traditional front-loading dryer that I sure would not want that style in my washing machine. 

If you have nothing physical that might determine your choice, then your options are much broader.

Best wishes in finding what you like best.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I read a LOT of consumer reports and reviews when I had to buy a new washer and dryer. I went with a top loader for two reasons - affordability and no reports of mildew.

I have a high efficiency top loader by LG. It has no agitator to worry about tearing anything and I've had no issues with it getting my clothes clean. I got mine over a 4th of July sale.

Honored Contributor

I love my top loader with an agitator.  It is really huge and can fit quilts and large items.  The agitator keeps it from going off balance and the clothing from tangling in the wash. 

I like that I can open it during the wash cycle and add that one item I missed and it spin drys very well..actually it has a second spin cycle if needed for bulky items.  It also adds enough water to cover and clean my clothing.  It has an auto soak feature  and thank goodness, no electronic buttons to go wrong and cost a fortune to repair.

I am 5'1" and can reach all the way to the bottom of the tub.

My old washer was almost 30 years old and I just knew I was going to hate the new ones.

Well, I was sure surprised.  I love this new one.  I just got in in November.  It was  a little less than $500... great price too.

it's a  GE Deep Fill.

4818718B-D71D-4D78-8926-CB2C4C646E8A.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I choose to stick with top loading washers; multiple wash cycles, and definitely the full water fill feature.   My current washer is a Whirlpool, nearly 2 years old, is used almost daily, and I’m very satisfied with it.  

My previous washer was a front loading Bosch.   I HATED that washer; it did not use enough water to clean our clothes.   Very small loads did fine, but if you put in 4 pair of jeans, they would likely come out with dry spots on them that never got wet.   I estimated that this washer used about 5 gallons of water on the wash cycle I used the most.   At the end of every wash day, I took a Clorox wipe and cleaned under the door gasket to remove the dirt and soap scum buildup that caused the musty smell.  I used a truckload of bleach cleaning this washer in the short time I had it.   My last straw with this machine, was over the last item washed in it before it went to the recycling center.   My daughter washed a new lightweight cotton shirt on a short cycle in this washer, and it was 5 hours of washing, rinsing, spinning, before I finally got the door latch to release to get the shirt out.  I have nothing positive to say about my experience with this front loading washer.  

Much of the nasty smell in the laundry room comes from the drain line from the washer.   Dirt and soap scum builds in that drain line and sits between use.   I pour straight peroxide into this drain line to help kill the scum and bacteria in that area.

Honored Contributor

We purchased a top loader last year and we couldn't be happier.

Trusted Contributor

@Beautiful life  I have a top load HE GE washer, it has served me well. No issues with smell. I have a small laundry room and the front load washers was not going to work. It took a long time for me to select the top loader . I am not very tall  and some of the top loaders are very deep and I can not reach into them to get the items out. The ge I have has a wider tub that is not as dee as some. Good luck on your search.

Occasional Contributor

I have an Electrolux front loading machine which I have had for years. Best washing machine I have ever owned. The dryer was awful so it’s been replaced, but the washer is amazing. I have had problems with the mildew smell even after running the necessary clean cycle when it prompts. Mildew collects in the door. I stopped using liquid HE detergent and went back to powder and the smell stopped and so did the buildup. And powder detergent, which I have not used in years, is actually cleaning my clothes better IMO.
Respected Contributor

Top Loader   No agitator

Honored Contributor

When we moved to our “new” mid ‘50s ranch, the only type of machine that would fit in the only space in the house where it could go, was a front loader.

I’ve never loved any washing machine more. It’s the largest stackable LG.

Honored Contributor

Were I in the market, I'd only consider a top loading washer.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...