Respected Contributor

Re: Top 5 must-haves in a comfortable guest room?

I don't need most of the things mentioned in most posts because my needs are simple.  And I won't be staying any longer than 2 nights.  The only thing I really desire is a decent mattress and an extra blanket.  I've had to sleep in some really old worn beds that just kill my back so that I can hardly walk the next day.  I call them taco beds because they have a big dip.  And then there are those that feel like a sheet of plywood.  I don't need a luxurious Serta, but a decent bed that you would sleep in yourself would be nice.

So instead of spending money on all the little things, spend it on a decent mattress.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

* An extra blanket 

* A lil’ snack, nothing fancy, just to help my pills go down, a few       crackers will do 

* A bottle of water

*An alternative to feather pillows

*A mirror

At our home we offer bed buddy puddies upon request.

What a thoughtful hostess.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!

As usual, I'm so glad I aske my forum friends!

@Sooner  and those who suggested the bottled water - great idea that I hadn't thought of.  I don't have a huge house, so the kitchen and guest bath are close by, but it is a nice touch to be able to take bedtime meds without leaving the bedroom.

@Drythe   I like the crackers idea, too.

@skatting44  - I sooo agree with you!  I purchased a chest of drawers and two simple nightstands. Each of the nightstands has a small lamp and the remotes for the bed and the ceiling fan.  I have two cats but I've been very mindful not to let them get comfortable in there.  My closest friend is quite fearful of cats - the last thing I'd want is for her to find one on the bed.

Also, the closet is empty, except for hangers .  DH and I have had our own room in his parents' home for decades, but recently they started filling the guest closet.  I don't necessarily need the closet, but it's my FIL's clothes and it's an imposition for him when he can't get into the room. That's a situation I want to avoid.

@DottieBlue  - the flowers would be a great touch if the room were bigger.  Our friends are mostly like us... kind of stumbly and clumsy.  I think the flowers would be an accident waiting to happen, lol.

@godi  - good point.  I've layered the bed with a very thin comforter as well as a hefty quilt.

@Sage04 

You might think everyone has a cell phone, but coincidentally, our first guest will be DH's aunt who still has a flip phone.  I have a small digital alarm buried somewhere around here. I think I'll dig it up.

@ScrapHappy  - one of the things on which we splurged when building this house is adding a ceiling fan to every room.  I don't think I could sleep without one.  The only room that doesn't have a fan is my kitchen.  We even have them on the porches.

@Tinkrbl44  - the water and cups are a great idea.

@kitty60  - Absolutely agree on the clutter-free.  I rarely stay at anyone's home as I'm a very private person and prefer a hotel, but there have been a couple of occasions when we were persuaded to stay, only to be tripping over all kinds of stuff.  I don't understand why some people are so insistant that we stay with them when they honestly don't have the room.  Offering is a lovely gesture, but it seems I've hurt feelings when I've declined.

@PAmommom

A full length mirror is an excellent idea and I hadn't thought of it.  I still need to purchase one for my own bedroom, I guess I should do both at the same time.

@Bridgegal  - Ironically, DH purchased a split Cal King adjustable bed for us about 5 years ago. It cost as much as my first car and it turned out that he hated it.  When we moved here we decided to purchase a new Queen size for us and we put the adjustable bed in the guest room.  It's especially nice because it's easy to separate into two twin beds if necessary, and I have the bedding for both.  I also did some research before purchasing pillows and the ones I bought were reasonably priced and quite luxurious.  I bought two king sized and two standard, because when I'm at a hotel I love, love, love a big bunch of pillows!

Thanks so much for all the responses. As you can tell, I took notes!  I understand those of you who think some of this is over-the-top. Personally, I avoid staying at anyone's home, other than my best friend or my inlaws.  Perhaps that's the reason I believe it's so important to make a guest room as comfortable as possible.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My "guest room" would be the love seat in my office...    You'd have to be under 5' to sleep on that old thing...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Wow!

As usual, I'm so glad I aske my forum friends!

@Sooner  and those who suggested the bottled water - great idea that I hadn't thought of.  I don't have a huge house, so the kitchen and guest bath are close by, but it is a nice touch to be able to take bedtime meds without leaving the bedroom.

@Drythe   I like the crackers idea, too.

@skatting44  - I sooo agree with you!  I purchased a chest of drawers and two simple nightstands. Each of the nightstands has a small lamp and the remotes for the bed and the ceiling fan.  I have two cats but I've been very mindful not to let them get comfortable in there.  My closest friend is quite fearful of cats - the last thing I'd want is for her to find one on the bed.

Also, the closet is empty, except for hangers .  DH and I have had our own room in his parents' home for decades, but recently they started filling the guest closet.  I don't necessarily need the closet, but it's my FIL's clothes and it's an imposition for him when he can't get into the room. That's a situation I want to avoid.

@DottieBlue  - the flowers would be a great touch if the room were bigger.  Our friends are mostly like us... kind of stumbly and clumsy.  I think the flowers would be an accident waiting to happen, lol.

@godi  - good point.  I've layered the bed with a very thin comforter as well as a hefty quilt.

@Sage04 

You might think everyone has a cell phone, but coincidentally, our first guest will be DH's aunt who still has a flip phone.  I have a small digital alarm buried somewhere around here. I think I'll dig it up.

@ScrapHappy  - one of the things on which we splurged when building this house is adding a ceiling fan to every room.  I don't think I could sleep without one.  The only room that doesn't have a fan is my kitchen.  We even have them on the porches.

@Tinkrbl44  - the water and cups are a great idea.

@kitty60  - Absolutely agree on the clutter-free.  I rarely stay at anyone's home as I'm a very private person and prefer a hotel, but there have been a couple of occasions when we were persuaded to stay, only to be tripping over all kinds of stuff.  I don't understand why some people are so insistant that we stay with them when they honestly don't have the room.  Offering is a lovely gesture, but it seems I've hurt feelings when I've declined.

@PAmommom

A full length mirror is an excellent idea and I hadn't thought of it.  I still need to purchase one for my own bedroom, I guess I should do both at the same time.

@Bridgegal  - Ironically, DH purchased a split Cal King adjustable bed for us about 5 years ago. It cost as much as my first car and it turned out that he hated it.  When we moved here we decided to purchase a new Queen size for us and we put the adjustable bed in the guest room.  It's especially nice because it's easy to separate into two twin beds if necessary, and I have the bedding for both.  I also did some research before purchasing pillows and the ones I bought were reasonably priced and quite luxurious.  I bought two king sized and two standard, because when I'm at a hotel I love, love, love a big bunch of pillows!

Thanks so much for all the responses. As you can tell, I took notes!  I understand those of you who think some of this is over-the-top. Personally, I avoid staying at anyone's home, other than my best friend or my inlaws.  Perhaps that's the reason I believe it's so important to make a guest room as comfortable as possible.

I live in the Southeast and have a ceiling fan in 4 bedrooms.  Just took out the ceiling fan in the master and put a chandelier instead.  Also have ceiling fans in family room and finished basement.  I cannot sleep without a fan.  But my husband hates it.  That's one reason we took it out of the master.  He bought me a really nice fan for the bedroom that only directed at me.  

Valued Contributor

All of the suggestions would make for happy house guests.

For me, I would prefer ...

1) Clean linens on bed and in bathroom + extra washcloths.  

2) New, fresh and unused soap.  Shower gel that has been used is ok since it's clean from the container.

3) Extra rolls of toilet paper.

4) A toilet plunger

5) Clean pillows or pillows that don't have hair or hair product odors.

Honored Contributor

Matching bedding that is clean and crisp. The sheets and top of be should all match/coordinate. 

Linens (towels) that coordinate with the bed. I just love a completely matching/coordinating look.

A basket with extra blanket, some bottled water, a brand new bar of soap, a new toothbrush and toothpaste, things needed that they might have forgot.

Fresh flowers are a nice touch.

Some space in a dresser and/or the closet for their clothing

Honored Contributor

I have a guest room in my home. It has a queen size bed, night stands, bedside lights,bureaus, closet, TV and a love seat.

I have it furnished like my master.  Besides comfortable bedding and a full bath with linens, there is nothing else.

If my guests want water, coffee or a snack, they can get it in my kitchen. If they need reading material, they can bring their own or use their electronic device.

I have found that guests only use the room for sleeping.  They tend to stay in the main area of our home with us until they are ready to go to sleep.  

If they need something else, they can ask.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

That's how our guest room got a king.   We bought it 3 years ago when we moved and DH couldn't sleep on it.  So, when we moved again 2 months ago, we bought another king and put the former one in the guest room.

Our new mattress is great.  I love it and DH can sleep on it.  Win win for everyone, us and guests.

Honored Contributor

isn't clean linen a given?

actually the only place I stay is at my sisters' so it's all good there

otherwise a hotel and there is no wavering on that