Esteemed Contributor

Re: Top 5 must-haves in a comfortable guest room?

Light weight blanket. I can not stand big billowy comforters. Give them a choice. Extra towels. Some products in bathroom in case they forgot something. I always put munchies and bottled water in room. WiFi password. 

Esteemed Contributor

Alarm clock? That´s what cell phones are for. Mine has a small desk because most people take their laptop with them so that they can work. No holding on your lap. A full length mirror and  over the door towel rack with at least four hooks. This gives the guest a place to hang the items while taking a shower and of course a shower mat for when you step out of the shower.

Don´t know how big the room is, but a very comfortable chair in a corner next to a small table   with a lamp which could be used as a reading nook.

And according to @Kachina624, a TV.

Respected Contributor

One of the reasons we bought the house we're living in now is that every bedroom had its own bathroom and nice, walk in closet.  For guests I always make sure I have:

Clean, fresh linens and blankets

Bathroom: clean, with accesories (wastebasket, toothbrush holder, cup, soapdish with new soap in box).  I also put in items they may have forgotten: toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, etc.) Fresh towels every day.

When we remodeled, we got new queen bed and bedside tables with lamps.  It has a ceiling fan with a remote control.  

Hangers in the closet.

Alarm clock

Honored Contributor

Most have already been suggested, but I think some of those disposable 3 oz cups (they might take meds) a couple bottles of water and perhaps under the sink small packages of tampons and pads.   Periods happen.    

Honored Contributor

Really? I read some of these responses and just chuckle. I'm offering a guest room in my home, not running a hotel, and anyone visitiing me is visiting a friend or family member, not a concierge. Anyone wanting the level of 'comfort' many are suggesting, well, I'll be happy to suggest nicer hotels nearby .

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Sooner,

I agree with you.  Keep it simple, you are a guest.  I do have issues though with those who stuff their guest rooms with clutter and leave it there when you arrive.  From one friend I have to move dozens of pillows from bed and chairs and trip over the chairs in the room.  Last count there wree 5 chairs in addition to everything else in the room.  Also windowshills were covered with items so you could not put blinds down.  Bathroom, another story.  I have never seen such collections and furniture in a bath!  It does not make it comfortable for a guest.

I try to do better in my home.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Really? I read some of these responses and just chuckle. I'm offering a guest room in my home, not running a hotel, and anyone visitiing me is visiting a friend or family member, not a concierge. Anyone wanting the level of 'comfort' many are suggesting, well, I'll be happy to suggest nicer hotels nearby .

I agree!  If house guests want reading materials, a tv, hair dryer, extra pillows, alarm clock, personal care items, etc., etc., etc., I'll be happy to direct them to the nearest hotel!

My guests get the minimum.  I'm not here to cater to their every whim.  They can bring their own "special needs" with them or go to the store and purchase it themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Everyone has pretty much covered my ideas. I agree with @godi about adding some toiletries. I usually place a small basket with travel sized toiletries and some Advil. Also, water and paper cups. The other thing I noticed last week after my DDIL left was that she had placed a small magnifying mirror on to the full length mirror I provided. In the past I've tried adding make-up mirrors, but the lights don't last long.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Most have already been suggested, but I think some of those disposable 3 oz cups (they might take meds) a couple bottles of water and perhaps under the sink small packages of tampons and pads.   Periods happen.    

@Tinkrbl44  it seems as if we are only catering to women lol

Men are considered guests also and need a guest room.

Respected Contributor

Coffee in the morning! I do not even need cream and sugar and will make my own or go somewhere and buy it. LOL.