Respected Contributor

Re: Top 5 must-haves in a comfortable guest room?

@september 

I use my phone for any alarm I might need but I don't like waking up during the night and can't see what time it is.  Yes, I could pick up my phone but the more I do the less likely I am to get back to sleep so just glancing at a clock with a lit dial helps me a lot.

Respected Contributor

I just think about what makes me comfortable when I visit someone. When we visited my husbands sister for a week it was a nightmare;

The guest bed was a 40 yr old double bed that sagged in the middle. And it was a mattress with springs that made a lot of noise everytime we turned over. When you're used to a king bed a double bed is VERY small.

There was no chair or anywhere else to sit other than the bed.

There was only one bathroom and we had nowhere to hang our wet towels. So we draped them over our suitcases in the bedroom.

The TP ran out once in the middle of the night and we had to go rummaging in the hall linen closet to find more.

I love her to death but sure don't want to stay there again. And they keep inviting us to come.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat this might sound strange, but some people (like me) like/need some white noise to help them sleep, especially when away from home.
Bed bath & Beyond sells a small white noise machine for just under $20. It plays rain, ocean waves, etc. I’ve even given them as gifts.
Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:
@house_catthis might sound strange, but some people (like me) like/need some white noise to help them sleep, especially when away from home.
Bed bath & Beyond sells a small white noise machine for just under $20. It plays rain, ocean waves, etc. I’ve even given them as gifts.

I agree, but I have an app on my phone for this.  

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

I just think about what makes me comfortable when I visit someone. When we visited my husbands sister for a week it was a nightmare;

The guest bed was a 40 yr old double bed that sagged in the middle. And it was a mattress with springs that made a lot of noise everytime we turned over. When you're used to a king bed a double bed is VERY small.

There was no chair or anywhere else to sit other than the bed.

There was only one bathroom and we had nowhere to hang our wet towels. So we draped them over our suitcases in the bedroom.

The TP ran out once in the middle of the night and we had to go rummaging in the hall linen closet to find more.

I love her to death but sure don't want to stay there again. And they keep inviting us to come.

I don't think I could ever again sleep in a double (full) bed with another adult.  All three of my guest beds are queen sized. 

A full sized bed should be for a single guest.

Honored Contributor

I have one of those white noise machines too from BB&B.

I thought I'd like the ocean the most but love the thunder sound.

I have 2 others-one that has an ocean and seagulls but that kind of keeps me awake!

So I like the BB&B one best.

It is a nice idea to have in a guest room but I wouldn't expect it. I might bring my own but probably would wait til I got home.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This thread was so helpful!

I followed every one of your suggestions and we had our first guest this past weekend.  She said it was the most welcoming guest room she'd ever encountered.  

Thank you all for helping me out!

The only problem is that we are "booked" for visitors nearly every weekend between now and Thanksgiving. My husband is retired and I'm working full time. He gets bored and invites friends and relatives. If only he could help with preparations, but he's disabled.  I told him to please stop advertising!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

This thread was so helpful!

I followed every one of your suggestions and we had our first guest this past weekend.  She said it was the most welcoming guest room she'd ever encountered.  

Thank you all for helping me out!

The only problem is that we are "booked" for visitors nearly every weekend between now and Thanksgiving. My husband is retired and I'm working full time. He gets bored and invites friends and relatives. If only he could help with preparations, but he's disabled.  I told him to please stop advertising!

Hopefully, your guests know the situation and will pitch in.  I've always had overnight guests (family and friends) as I live at the beach.  Summer in the north, winter in the south.

If they are unaware that you work full time, drop hints!

Don't be taken advantage of.