Honored Contributor

Re: Top 5 must-haves in a comfortable guest room?

I completely agree that the mattress is the most important item. I recently stayed overnight in a hotel. It was the most spotless one I had ever stayed in. Had everything I needed. But the mattress was rock hard, so uncomfortable. I think a mattress for guests should be the medium variety. Not too plush and not too firm.

After that comfortable mattress I would say clean, good lighting, plugs for charging devices, and comfortable room temperature. All other extras at your discretion and choice.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

I think clean bed sheets are a given! LOL! Here's what I'd appreciate as a guest:

- An extra blanket or throw

- If there's no ceiling fan in the room, I'd love to have a small fan available that I could plug in.

- A small flashlight so I don't get turned around

@house_cat wrote:

It's been a long time since I've had a spare room to designate as an official "guest room" in my home and I'm taking great pains to make it as comfortable and welcoming as possible.

From the guest's perspective, what are the top five things to ensure a comfortable stay when visiting someone's home?

trying to find the bathroom in the middle of night!

- Access to recharge my phone

- A luggage rack for my suitcase, and a small space in the closet (with hangers) to hang up any hangable items. 

Thank you for having me over for a few days!

Honored Contributor

1.  Their own private bathroom.    2.  comfortable mattress.  3.  clean linens on the bed.   4.  TV in the room    5.  alarm clock

Your guests in turn when leaving should strip down the bed linens and make sure the bathroom is clean.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Your guests in turn when leaving should strip down the bed linens and make sure the bathroom is clean.

@Katcat1 

Excellent point.  Perhaps we could list suggestions on how to be an excellent house guest!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

One thing nobody mentioned is a TV.  I'm often awake very early or late and must have my TV, to which I often fall asleep.  It doesn't have to be huge, I think my bedroom TV is about 24".

@Kachina624   When we drove to Venice, Ca to visit DH's family, we stayed with his Mother and always brought a tv for me in the bedroom.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue   When I stay at someone's home, I make sure the bathroom is cleaninig including the tub.  Also strip down the bed.  Why should I leave that for woman of the house?  That would be in poor taste.  Also, hopefully, you took the woman of the house and partner to breakfast, lunch or dinner whichever you can afford.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

As a guest, I agree, and esp with family too, I leave the bathroom clean with trash empty and tub clean; towels taken to the washing machine. I usually do like to strip the bed but this time I left it because it is also my grandson's school room and I wanted it to look nice in case they didn't have time to change the bed so I made it.

And yes, taking them out to dinner was a nice thing.Or if someone doesn't have time to do that, a gift certificate or somethingSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

My guest room has the bare minimum:

Queen Bed

Two Nightstands

Ceiling Fan

Large Closet

Very spacious, but does not have a tv in the room, nor is it connected to its own bath, but the bathroom is right across the hall! To me the most important is it being super clean with fresh sheets and comforter, along with guests own towels and wash cloths.

You have it covered!  All guests I have, use their cell phones as their alarm clocks, if needed.  They can use one of two tv's in other rooms in the house if they want to watch tv late at night.  But this has never happened.  

Bottled water doesn't exist in my house, but guests may take a cup of filtered water from the refrigerator to their rooms if they desire. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't read through all the replies but don't forget a bedside reading lamp. And make sure they know where the extra TP is!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to the necessities that others have covered so well, I like the imaginative, deeply hospitable traditions of a few litte "extras".  It depends on who is staying and their likes, of course.  Fresh ice water in a carafe, and a few well-chosen novels or other interesting books at bedside are thoughtful.  Nancy Lancaster was justly famous for wanting her guests to feel at home, and touches like these cost nothing, but could mean so much to many people away from the comforts of home.