Respected Contributor

I have been trying to decrease the amount of unnecessary items that I have in my home.

Today I looked into my cabinet where I keep all of my cleaning products.  I was shocked at the overabundance of products that I have, and in all likelihood, I do not use most of them.

I found a couple of bottles of Mr Clean Clean Freak, many containers of Comet and Barkeepers Friend, several bottles of various household cleaners that are too strong, so I just used them once or twice.  

In my attempt to reduce the amount of chemicals that I use I purchased several Mrs Meyers cleaners.   Both countertop and powdered cleansers.   I do like the Mrs. Meyers cleansers.   I don't care so much for the different countertop cleaners.  I feel the scents are too overwhelming.  

I also have several items from the Real Simple Line and a bottle of Aunt Fannie's Cleaning Vinegar.    Many on-line reviews felt that the vinegar scent was too strong but I like the fact that it is relatively safe and I feel the scent disappears quickly.

I know that it's ridiculous to have so many cleaners and I need to get rid of many of them.   I guess I'll box them up and take them to the next disposal event we have in our town.

I would like to reduce my products to just a few that I like.

What are some of the cleaning products that you like and find that are effective for all types of cleaning needs?

Honored Contributor

Re: Too many cleaning products.

"What are some of the cleaning products that you like and find that are effective for all types of cleaning needs?"

Whatever my cleaning team uses.  As long as I don't have to. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Agree that too many chemicals-    My normal routine includes:  vinegar, Dawn, baking soda,  a toilet bowl cleaner, Barkeeper's Friend (when necessary), dry swiffer duster cloths, and my washable microfber cloths.    Some other items are used occasionally as necessary (suggested floor cleaner, amonia mixture for windows, etc.

Respected Contributor

I just went on a rant at my house about baking supplies!  We have tons of duplicates of sugar, vanilla, chocolate, condensed milk, and, oddly, Keto syrup.  I told my husband, don't buy any more baking supplies until we use up what we have.  Lucky for me, baking season is right around the corner.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I use vinegar for a lot of my cleaning and baking soda for scrubbing.I also like those magic erasers.I can’t stand chemical smells from strong products.

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I just went on a rant at my house about baking supplies!  We have tons of duplicates of sugar, vanilla, chocolate, condensed milk, and, oddly, Keto syrup.  I told my husband, don't buy any more baking supplies until we use up what we have.  Lucky for me, baking season is right around the corner.

My Mother always made her frosting with karo syrup ....

Honored Contributor

I use a lot of the clear Windex. It says 'with vinegar' on the bottle. Sinks, countertops, faucets, and my stainless steel appliances get zapped with it.

Honored Contributor

I came to the same conslusion a year or so ago....I have greatly reduced what I use to clean the house.  One thing I have had for years and really like are the SUPER CLOTHS I use for washing windows and dusting....I no longer use windex and have not used a dusting spray for years.

I use toilet bowl cleaner and I have a jug of a cleaning conentrate for the floors and a spray product for the shower/bath.

I have barkeepers friend in the kitchen for the stainless sink

I do purchase something a little heavier to wash windows on our back porch in the spring as they are filthy come spring.

Esteemed Contributor

Soft Scrub w/ bleach for the tub & shower, Mr. Clean Clean Freak for most surfaces, along with Caldrea, which smells so good, Affresh cleaner for stainless steel, Invisible Glass for windows & mirrors, Howard Feed 'n Wax for wood, Woolite Insta-clean w/ Oxy for pet stains on rugs & carpet, steamer for floors, including sealed hardwood. 

I choose to use the best cleaner for each different type of surface. The above are my go-to's.

Valued Contributor

I feel your pain!  I have a cupboard full that I no longer use because of strong scents or not great cleaning.  That and several unused jugs of laundry detergent and fabric softeners for the same reason.  I have often wondered if humane society can use them or do they use strictly non-toxic cleaners and detergents?  Have not taken the time yet to call as I don't have time yet to do a major clean out.  I just keep shoving them to the back of the cupboard.