Honored Contributor

Re: Too Much Pattern, You Say...

@stevieb wrote:

Though a few of us thought it a pretty room, some of you found the amount of pattern in the recently posted living room, below, overwhelming... Just wanted you to see it juxtaposed along side the adjoining dining room... Hope no one needs a Dramamine...

Woman Surprised

Personally, I think they're pretty rooms, but would have skipped the dining room wallpaper...

Woman Happy

blueliving.jpg

2-Mark_D_Sikes_Beverly_Hills_1.jpg

@stevieb   

The problem with these rooms is the lack of warmth.  Those chairs there in the DR that appear to be turq or aqua should be in a warm color, possibly yellow or a strong melon color.  Then take that wonky wallpaper in what appears to be a black/beige color (maybe it is navy/beige) off or paint it out so it is a softer, warm color.  The rooms look cold.  Rooms where you invite guests and entertain should be warm.  People prefer eating and conversing in rooms with warmer atmosphere.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  And hence why I so rarely opt for blue in any meaningful dose. It is, by definition, a cool color and when it's the primary color used, doesn't impart much warmth to a room. To be sure, you can combine it with other colors to add warmth, but pretty as most blues are, I prefer to just skip them other than for accessories or occasional pieces. I think these are pretty rooms, but I'd not replicate either of them at home.

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Wow @Foxxee, your opinion is, of course, as valid as any, but that's harsh!

Woman LOL

I like both rooms and don't find anything nondescript about them, though I'd certainly make a few changes...

Woman Wink

@stevieb 

Lol.  What a boring world of design if all of us thought similarly. Even interior designers disagree on what's good and bad.  

I always consider my first impression when looking at these photos.  Then I look at room architecture, each piece of furniture, their styles, accessories, colors, patterns, textures, the layout of the room and how the furniture is positioned.  Does the decor complement the room's/house's architectural style?  Dislike seeing modern furniture in a colonial style home, for example.  

To determine a well designed room, I think not only the overall first impression is important, but each piece of furniture and accessory should harmonize and complement the others, but be able to stand alone, possess character, say something without being in conflict or alternatively, totally blend in with other pieces and decor.  

In the LR of this house, all I see are patterns, light blue and white, making the furniture and accessories disappear in a sea of...well...light blue and white patterns and white...what I called making them nondescript.  Nothing stands out except patterns and white. 

OK, there's an oriental chest or closet and sofa table, but both look out of place to me in this room because of their dark color.  As does the table in the DR.

Any character the furniture had was covered with light blue and white patterns or all white.  Possibly, using a dark or navy blue and white fabric, minus so many and so much of the patterns, would be better...more of a contrast and definition to the furniture...and using an accent color, maybe, red.  

And I think about all this light blue and white against white walls.  It's rather blinding.  

The fact the white fireplace, what I see should be the focal point in the room, blends in with the white wall was very bad design, IMO.  Not that I think all fireplaces painted white are a bad idea.  Absolutely not.  In this room, white doesn't work.  Without the fireplace, there is no focal point in this LR, but the sofa and chairs are positioned correctly to make it the focal point.  Contradiction, no.  The fireplace can't be seen very well.  As a focal point, it should stand out.

The small dark mirror above the fireplace not given much thought that would help give it more presence. 

I won't go into the DR because I think it's a disaster.  

I either think a room is well done, or think about how I would change decor to make it look better.  Sometimes, I think everything should be removed to start over.  

I choose the later for this LR and DR.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Nonametoday  And hence why I so rarely opt for blue in any meaningful dose. It is, by definition, a cool color and when it's the primary color used, doesn't impart much warmth to a room. To be sure, you can combine it with other colors to add warmth, but pretty as most blues are, I prefer to just skip them other than for accessories or occasional pieces. I think these are pretty rooms, but I'd not replicate either of them at home.

Smiley Wink

@stevieb 

I mostly have European and not the recent rage of painting everything or white-washing it white, but collected items through the years.  I have some Chippendale, DR chairs with os de mouton legs, Queen Anne and Louis XIV which I have mixed with other European furnishings including some Mediterranean, all done to blend plus I do have a piece of chippy in my office. I have a touch of blue in every room with blue plates, or blue & white pots, some blue & white splatter in my kitchen, but I also have something live and green in every room (except 2 bathrooms where I have faux green second to lack of lighting) and a touch of black in every room to ground it.  I do love blue but, like you, it is not my primary decorating color.  I love the warmths of wheat, khakis, mushroom, olives, etc.

Honored Contributor

It reminds me of some of the displays in the Laura Ashley Store back in the late 80's. A little too much blue and far too many floral patterns.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like prints and mixing patterns so that part of these rooms is good for me; however, the blue is just way too much.  I would use 2 colors with the white (neither of them being blue)  And why so much on the dining room table.  The centerpiece would be just right and don't add the vases of flowers.  The dividing drapes also need to go.

I like the furniture but in a different color than blue and especially like the dining room chairs.

Respected Contributor

It just looks as though the goal was to stuff as many blue items as possible into a room. The style is "unpacked items in a warehouse."

Esteemed Contributor

It's too much of a good thing.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

I think they are very pretty rooms minus the dining room wallpaper, drapes between the rooms, and print lamp shade in the living room. I like the hanging lamp in the dining room.

I would like to see the room divider drapes replacing the print drapes in the living room....if I lived there.

I love the dining room chairs..fireplace looks like it is very pretty too. I always wanted a fireplace in my dining room but never had one.

@DREAMON . I agree with everything Dreamon said 100%.....

Esteemed Contributor

I really like the blue and white, but to me there is too much pattern and I don't care for the DR wallpaper at all.