Contributor
OMG, I don't recall ever having this much trouble with toilet seats. In fact, as a kid, I don't remember my parents ever having to buy another toilet seat. We had the same one all through my childhood. In the last 10 years, I've had to replace toilet seats in both our bathrooms at least once a year. And it's just my husband and me. The seat either cracks, the bolts rust and fall off, I'm just so frustrated. And these are not cheap. I have bought some that were 80.00. That lasted a month before the seat cracked. The one I have now was 25.00. It seemed to last longer then most, about 8 months but now it's falling apart. Anyone else have this problem?
Respected Contributor

Re: Toilet seat recommendations

No, I have a Kohler toilet and seat.

What I'm thinking is the seats you are buying are not the same brand as your toilet thus the stress you are putting on the seat for an ill fit.

They say they are "universal" but we all know that's not true.

I remember growing up and my mom had the original seat for a long time and then replaced it, I think we went through about 4 seats until the entire unit was replaced.

Just my thoughts.

Esteemed Contributor

Bemis. I have 3 bathrooms in my home. In 30 years I've replaced each toilet seat about 3 times. The last time I replaced one was about 2 years ago. It lasted about a year & cracked. I called the company & they replaced it without any hassles.

Honored Contributor

The last one I bought is made of some kind of hard resin plastic stuff. It doesn't have metal bolts so there is no rust issues. At first I was reluctant to buy a plastic seat but my contractor said they are made to last. The original one was made of coated wood and it had metal bolts. That one cracked and one of the bolts broke off. No problems with the plastic one. I've have it for well over 15 years. It's so easy to clean, too.

Respected Contributor

I have replaced our toilet seats twice since we have lived in our home (20 years).  One time I bought seats that were enamel coated over wood and eventually the coating wore away in spots.  This last time I bought all plastic seats and so far so good but I’ve only had them about a year.  I’ve never had problems with the bolts (they’ve always been plastic) or seats breaking.   

Honored Contributor

I want a bidet-type seat. 

Esteemed Contributor

Never have had one crack.  Guess we just got lucky.

Honored Contributor

Weve kicked toilet paper around ad nauseum, so I guess it stands to reason we'd move on to toilet seats.  What do you propose next? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Weve kicked toilet paper around ad nauseum, so I guess it stands to reason we'd move on to toilet seats.  What do you propose next? 

should I really answer that

but seriously I had to replace an older seat and there are many to choose from and if it's not white, forget it 

Contributor

Oh, thanks. I guess I'll have to do some more research. Life is so hard sometimes😀