Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of the "farmhouse" look

The show Restored actually only renovates older, period homes, and maintains the original design elements. 

Honored Contributor

I so agree with what pretty much everyone here has said.

HGTV seems to be in league with all the real estate agents who think to sell your home it has to be updated to fall in line with the "HGTV style" that they script all the folks on that channel to say they like, or no dear, you won't reach the maximum number of  potential buyers.

Clearly, you folks all have taste and minds of your own, so I can't think it's any different for those of potential buyers.

I mean, whatever happened to individuality?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I always thought the shows designed for the area they were based in. The Beachfront shows decorate beachy, Chip and Joanna along with the middle country based shows are more farmhouse, The show with the couple that divorced (forgot the name) was more modern. 

I like all of them and try to get ideas from all the different styles.

Farmhouse and Industrial are definitely in. 

I have noticed living here on the east coast (on the water) that the beachy decor has industrial mixed in with a cottage farmhouse vibe. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have to agree that most of the programs are just about the same over and over. I am a fan of HGTV also get their magazine which is by the way not cheap to purchase. But I really enjoyed the shows that used to be on especially the one with Constance that was done in canada.  Also liked the shows were they would fix up the yards and would do different holiday decorating. I kinda find it all to be some what boring but that darn remote is on that channel and I am the one staring at the picture watching. I do think that they did more variety of shows in the past. My next door neighbor did her home in the farm decor she had picks and shovels and sythes hanging of her walls it was not my style at all .

Trusted Contributor

@151949   Yes, it is interesting. I posted on another thread just a few days ago pretty much what you stated. While I do find hgtv interesting at times, if you have seen one show. pretty much you have seen them all. They are made  to look, real but most are highly scripted and edited as well.   About the rusted out objects I totally agree.  Everyone has the right to like/dislike whatever they want. But I could not believe in one episode of fixer upper Joanna huing a totaslly rusted out bicycle on a clients wall above his office desk. I would have immediately told her to get it off my wall. It was hideous. But even though they seem likeable, every house they do is pretty much the same. Paint the outside brick, do hardwood floors, white kitchen cabinets with granite, white subway tile in kithen and bath. some open shelving, remove a wall. Add a mix of rusted out objects and guess what , Clint makes a table.  

Property Brothers, same kind of story. And with all of the shows, there is some problem unmasked that may blow the budget. 

It has been written in many articles, so much of the shows are staged. A lot of people already have purchased the home of their choosing and the hunt is just for show. 

I have read that this is the last season of sixer upper and I wish the Gaines much continued success. However Hgtv should have added more originality or scraped the show a few years ago. There is no originality from project to project.

In my opinion, reality tv is not reality at all, just another form of entertainment that is scripted. , ie Christina in in flip or flop sees a bug or mouse and screaches and jumps ,the Gaines children are always meticulously neat and well behaved. with no chaos. 

Respected Contributor

While I am not a huge fan of the Farmhouse style, on the whole....I do think French Farmhouse can be really beautiful and elegant.

Valued Contributor

I do like watching Fixer Upper, however, there are times when I wonder how much old lead paint is on some of the old things they come in and hang on a wall?  Or when they take and old painted door and hang it somewhere or make a headboard out of it?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I was watching some HGTV last night, because my back was hurting and I could not sleep. They had a few of those shows where they remodel old  delapidated houses. Every one of them was done in farmhouse style - not just Joanna & Chip - all of them. I used to like this style if it isn't carried too far. However, the decorating I saw looked like old junk from a garbage dump had been hung on walls - a few flowers stuck in it and was supposed to be art. Old, broken & rusty instruments or old rusty tools. To my eye - this is not art nor is it attractive.

You should follow your own advice from the Fashion Forum @151949!

Honored Contributor

An inappropriate attitude 

There are a lot of posters on this board who seem to feel that if something is not a good style for them it should just not be allowed to exist anymore. Why would anyone think that way? For instance the thread that ALL tunics should be banned because petites can't wear them or the thread that any and all bottoms that aren't a skinny, close to the body  style should be banned from the earth. 

Isn't there room for ALL styles? 

Can't we understand that different body types need different fashions?

Can't we understand that just because someone is a different size or body type than you are does not make them ugly ? And please stop saying that?

Do some posters here actually believe that they should buy everything shown in the stores and on TV? Good grief - just ignore those things that aren't the best styles for you.Are you a mature adult or a preteen?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Super Contributor

Im starting to really like the primitive look its a little different from the farmhouse/country/colonial style that I've always liked

Honored Contributor

OP thinks she is the arbiter of appropriateness and the benchmark of good taste.  She must get so fed up with us.