Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of the "farmhouse" look

@151949wrote:

It's not that I don't like farmhouse decor - I actually really do.But HGTV has taken it to the extreme - it seems EVERY show, and they do take it to extremes with the hanging rusty junkyard stuff on the walls etc.

The other thing that cracks me up - Joanna Gaines is always buying old dressers to be BR vanities. OK I can get with that but , seriously, how many old bedroom dressers do you think

there are out there that don't have drawers at the top? You can't put in a sink if there is a drawer right under the top.

To be fair, @151949, the drawer simply is converted to a false front so it still looks as if there is a drawer, but it's non-functioning.  Kind of common, I do believe.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@steviebwrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Well said, @stevieb

Traditional Home became a disappointment after it veered too strongly to modern, spare looks.  There used to be a variety and a richness shown.  I, too, stopped reading it years ago.  Now and then if it's at a supermarket or a doctor's office, I'll take a look, but the variety is still not there.

@GingerPeach TH has really gone down the tubes. It started two editors ago. Every time a new editor comes in, they do a few good issues, it seems, and then segue into the more contemporary aesthetic. They try to justify their view of 'traditional' but it just doesn't wash... I see there's another new editor, but I don't see any changes for the better... It's gotten so too many of the layouts, regardless of magazine, are too similar: too many neutrals, too many white kitchens... too much modern art... all the same buzz words and phrases... They're all virtually interchangeable...

@stevieb

I wish now I'd kept more of my old issues, or at least cut out some of the articles.  You and I both know "traditional" wasn't only being shown as frou-frou and curlicues, but there was more variety and, it seemed to me, individuality.  The tide is due to change.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@steviebwrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Well said, @stevieb

Traditional Home became a disappointment after it veered too strongly to modern, spare looks.  There used to be a variety and a richness shown.  I, too, stopped reading it years ago.  Now and then if it's at a supermarket or a doctor's office, I'll take a look, but the variety is still not there.

@GingerPeach TH has really gone down the tubes. It started two editors ago. Every time a new editor comes in, they do a few good issues, it seems, and then segue into the more contemporary aesthetic. They try to justify their view of 'traditional' but it just doesn't wash... I see there's another new editor, but I don't see any changes for the better... It's gotten so too many of the layouts, regardless of magazine, are too similar: too many neutrals, too many white kitchens... too much modern art... all the same buzz words and phrases... They're all virtually interchangeable...

@stevieb

I wish now I'd kept more of my old issues, or at least cut out some of the articles.  You and I both know "traditional" wasn't only being shown as frou-frou and curlicues, but there was more variety and, it seemed to me, individuality.  The tide is due to change.  

I know @GingerPeach. I had a very extensive magazine collection but when I moved a few years back I just couldn't keep them all and sorting through them seemed so overwhelming so I let them all go. Since then I've regretted not taking the time to sift through them, but at the time I was stressed enough! Since them, I've saved a number that I especially enjoyed, but try not to keep too many. Agreed, 'tradtional' has many incarnatons and unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're seeing any of them... Yes, hoping everything old will be tweaked and then new again...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@151949wrote:

It's not that I don't like farmhouse decor - I actually really do.But HGTV has taken it to the extreme - it seems EVERY show, and they do take it to extremes with the hanging rusty junkyard stuff on the walls etc.

The other thing that cracks me up - Joanna Gaines is always buying old dressers to be BR vanities. OK I can get with that but , seriously, how many old bedroom dressers do you think

there are out there that don't have drawers at the top? You can't put in a sink if there is a drawer right under the top.

To be fair, @151949, the drawer simply is converted to a false front so it still looks as if there is a drawer, but it's non-functioning.  Kind of common, I do believe.

I had my husband convert an old dresser into a bathroom vanity. It was a 9 drawer dresser, only the center top drawer is non-functioning. It's fixed in place and can be removed if "work" needs to be done at some point in the future. Worked like a charm.

"To each their own, in all things".