Esteemed Contributor

Tippity Witchity Island for sale

[ Edited ]

Home and property in Maryland.  Not far from where I live and I've seen it many times.  Not closely, but at a distance.

A friend owns a home on the water right across from the island and there it sits all by itself in the St. Mary's River.

This Private Island For Sale Off the Chesapeake Comes With a ...

Many articles online, but this one in the Washingtonian talks about the history and has photos of the house, which is nothing special.  However, you do have your own island Cat LOL

This Private Island For Sale Off the Chesapeake Comes With a Fascinating Past - Washingtonian

My husband said he saw it was going for $2.1 million, but I've not seen the listing yet.

Asked him if he was putting in a bid, and he laughed. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tippity Witchity Island for sale

You could always make the house something special, or maybe it's more special inside than outside.  

Esteemed Contributor

It wouldn't be for me but I'm sure there are many people who wouldn't mind owning it if they had the money.  HGTV used to have a Househunters type show where people were looking to purchase islands but, as I recall, most of those were in the ocean and not a river.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain 

@Icegoddess 

It's unique, but not my cup of tea.  Mostly because of the isolation.  To and from on a boat all the time would get very old.

Of course, if it was just a weekend home, it would be fun.

Many wealthy folks in this area have waterfront weekend homes, so it is not unusual.

However, we've got all we can do to take care of the home we have.  No second homes in our future. Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain 

@Icegoddess 

It's unique, but not my cup of tea.  Mostly because of the isolation.  To and from on a boat all the time would get very old.

Of course, if it was just a weekend home, it would be fun.

Many wealthy folks in this area have waterfront weekend homes, so it is not unusual.

However, we've got all we can do to take care of the home we have.  No second homes in our future. Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman I would actually like the isolation as long as there was technology.  However, I'm awful about forgetting things at the store, or needing something at the last minute.  And then there's the issue of getting deliveries.

Honored Contributor

Looks interesting to vacation for a week or two, but definitely not permantly for me.....Too isolated for me..

Valued Contributor

I would like the isolation and privacy too.  Then I remembered that I get seasick so I couldn't even get to it in the first place😊

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman,  what a beautiful little island, in the middle of that shimmery, placid river water!   Rural Maryland is so serene and lovely.   Even though like others, I wouldn't 'in real life' want a body of water between me and basic amenities,  I can dream, can't I?!

Respected Contributor

You could purchase the property and fix it up to be a wedding venue.

Couples could be married on a private island a short drive from Washington, DC. in a spectacular setting.  My daughter was married at a venue along the Chesapeake Bay in Autumn and it was gorgeous.

You could have working relationships with florists, caterers, bakers, etc. and offer one stop weddings.

You could make a bundle.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Beautiful!  I would buy this for a getaway, a place to escape to for relaxation and peace. However, I wouldn't live there all year around, too isolated.