Contributor

Re: Time to buy a stove, looking for suggestions.

My 15-yr-old electric stove blew its motherboard two months ago. At last! Hate cooking with electric. Plumbers are here as we speak to run a natural gas line to our kitchen from the outside source (what a project). Read reviews and decided on a free-standing GE gas range which will be here next week! My wish list included an oval burner (got it) and a double oven (way beyond my budget). So excited to be able to cook with gas again after so many years. Been getting by with an induction cookplate and countertop appliances and camp trailer oven (a bear to light).
Respected Contributor

@Christie B wrote:
My 15-yr-old electric stove blew its motherboard two months ago. At last! Hate cooking with electric. Plumbers are here as we speak to run a natural gas line to our kitchen from the outside source (what a project). Read reviews and decided on a free-standing GE gas range which will be here next week! My wish list included an oval burner (got it) and a double oven (way beyond my budget). So excited to be able to cook with gas again after so many years. Been getting by with an induction cookplate and countertop appliances and camp trailer oven (a bear to light).

@Christie B  hate electric but we have no gas lines in my neighborhood. 

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

I purchased a Samsung slide in 5 years ago and am very pleased with it.  It is electric, glass top and option to cook as convection.  What I love the most,is it fits flush to the wall and the glass top overlaps onto the countertop so it is even with the countertop.  No separation for the crumbs to go down the side.

IMG_1183.JPG

@Somertime  I do like the look of it. It makes the kitchen look bigger.

Honored Contributor

The double oven will narrow down your choices. I like the convection feature in my Samsung oven. The steam clean feature is nice too. It's for people like me who keep a fairly clean oven and don't need that super hot (stinky) self clean cycle.

Regular Contributor

Whatever you do, do not buy an LG stove.  I bought one 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems.

It's electric.  The burners run too hot.  The oven never runs at the correct temp.

I've called LG many, many times.  They do not care.

I've had repair men here 3 times.  They all told me the same thing.

LG is junk.

Also, DO NOT buy a stove that doesn't have the self cleaning feature.

My LG stove has something that supposedly cleans the oven.  HA!   What a joke.

Can't wait till this stove bites the dust so I can buy a new one.

Hate it!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

The double oven will narrow down your choices. I like the convection feature in my Samsung oven. The steam clean feature is nice too. It's for people like me who keep a fairly clean oven and don't need that super hot (stinky) self clean cycle.

@AuntG  We just got a new oven with the steam clean feature. Can you tell me something about it? I'd rather hear from someone that uses it instead of the users manual.

Honored Contributor

I bought this about 2 years ago and love it.

Maytag has a bit longer warranty than other brands.  I chose this specific model because it does not have their new self cleaning system called Aqua Clean.  Reviews on that were absolutely horrible.  I made sure that this model didnt have that.

My only pet peeve with it is the timer.  Whoever designed that needs to be fired.  It is hard to set and you can't even hear it when it goes off.  I use an external timer from Pampered Chef.

The elements on top are also a reason I picked it.  The bridge element is killer.  I happen to have an oval Le Creuset pan and it works beautifully when I use that feature.  It's 2 elements at the same time, plus the space between them heats up so that everything cooks evenly.  I use it to cook bacon and I've never cooked bacon so fast and so evenly before this.

It also has the warming element, which I thought would work well for mulling spices, but it's not hot enough for that.  It's really for keeping things warm once they are already hot from cooking.  Since it's just me, I don't use that feature because I don't need to keep anything warm.

It's a double oven, bottom is convection, glass top.

Maytag Oven Model # met8800fz

Oven.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@hick wrote:

Whatever you do, do not buy an LG stove.  I bought one 2 years ago and have had nothing but problems.

It's electric.  The burners run too hot.  The oven never runs at the correct temp.

I've called LG many, many times.  They do not care.

I've had repair men here 3 times.  They all told me the same thing.

LG is junk.

Also, DO NOT buy a stove that doesn't have the self cleaning feature.

My LG stove has something that supposedly cleans the oven.  HA!   What a joke.

Can't wait till this stove bites the dust so I can buy a new one.

Hate it!

@hick   After using my self cleaning feature my oven would not work again. The repairman said not to use it because it gets way too hot and they could burn up the insides.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   My Samsung has the steam clean as well.  I have used it a couple of times but do not care for it.  You add some water to the bottom and it steam cleans it but then you have to remove the water, it does not evaporate.  Several paper towels later, it's done.  For me, I'd rather use the full cleaning, easier.  What I do is..........I do not wait until my oven is really bad to clean. I will turn on the cleaning cycle and let it run for a half hour to an hour depending on how much needs to be cleaned and then I cancel the cycle!  Let it cool and voila................clean oven!

Honored Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ   My Samsung has the steam clean as well.  I have used it a couple of times but do not care for it.  You add some water to the bottom and it steam cleans it but then you have to remove the water, it does not evaporate.  Several paper towels later, it's done.  For me, I'd rather use the full cleaning, easier.  What I do is..........I do not wait until my oven is really bad to clean. I will turn on the cleaning cycle and let it run for a half hour to an hour depending on how much needs to be cleaned and then I cancel the cycle!  Let it cool and voila................clean oven!

@Somertime  Thanks!