Honored Contributor

Re: Tile or hardwood floors? Need your opinion please

I would check with your local Realtor...they know best what will sell in your area.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 graycatsrule said: I prefer hardwood. I think I'd ask a realtor if it's going to make a big difference in the sellability or price. I upgraded a ton of stuff in my last house and the people that bought it, tore it down and built a new house. Nothing was wrong with the house, they just wanted a different layout. The new house doesn't fit the neighborhood.

What were they thinking? Was it that much cheaper to do what they did and/or did they really want to live in your neighborhood? Scratching my head over that one...

Honored Contributor

Since you are moving, why not just offer money in an escrow account for the new buyers to purchase their own flooring according to their taste?

Just get an estimate of what flooring would cost in your area for the square footing of your home in tile and hardwood, then average the cost between the two and offer that amount to the new buyers.

It is tragic when you replace or upgrade your home to sell and the new buyers just rip it all out because it's not their taste.

You would not need to come up with the money before the sale of your home. It could be escrowed at the time of settlement.

Not applicable

I have a sister in law that put in the dark hardwood and there would be no way I would buy a home with that color. I'm in agreement with those that said talk to your RE person because she knows what people are looking for. People just rip everything out and start over and the only thing our RE agent suggested when we were selling our home in the midwest is make things neutral..walls, counter tops, floors. We had carpets, so we had an awesome carpet cleaner come in and clean the carpets...they looked like new.

Regular Contributor

Be sure to factor in the appreciation you will make on your new install. It may turn out to be a wash.

Hardwood is typically the first choice in northern climates but you never know.

We will be selling one of our places shortly and we are not replacing the carpet that certainly needs it. We figure the buyer will want what they want. Would never assume they want engineered wood planking when they want real hardwood or vice versa, or even a combination of carpet and tile. So leaving it alone. Will concede a carpet allowance at contractor pricing for carpet. Less wear and tear on us, less financial burden too.

Best of luck to you on your move.

Honored Contributor

ury

I am in California. I think if it was me, I "would" do hardwood. Hardwood is warmer, and lasts like tile, but may be a little more updated. I might not do the whole house, especially if you moving. I am 68, and I would choose hardwood for a few reasons.

It is easier on the old bones! Walking on a lot of tile all day is hard on the joints.

It is easier to decorate around neutral hardwood.

If you don't like the tile color or want to change it is a huge deal to tear up.

Hardwood has a better resale value.

I have tile in entry, and 2 bathrooms. I have vinyl "tile" in laundry room and adjoining bath. It is nice. I have hardwood on stairs and rest of house, even kitchen. The family room has carpet.

I have heavy duty hardwood. The kind that comes naked, they let sit for 2 weeks in home, install, stain then coat with 4 coats finish. A realtor, and a designer said the hardwood in kitchen was a real bonus as far as equity.

BTW. I had master bath done with a porcelain tile, and the grout line is 1/16th! That is the new thing. The tiles abut each other, and there is a hairline grout line. I was scared, but it is fabulous. No grout cleaning and it looks larger and not so busy with all those thick grout lines. Who knew?

Respected Contributor

Tile in bathrooms is perfect but I really think hard wood is much warmer and richer looking in the other rooms. Carpet in bedrooms is a must for me as I like the warmth from them and it is just more cozy. Of course this is just my opinion and what I have in my home.

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with the sales process.

What is the condition of the existing tile?

You say homes sell quickly in your neighborhood. I would talk to a realtor and review recent comparable sales. You may need to do less than you think to sell the home. Or you may agree that it is necessary, in which case looking at comps could guide you to the right product for the flooring (and a reasonable amount to budget for it).

If there are any homes for sale in the area, keep an eye out for open houses and do a walk through.

Again, best wishes to you. Moving after 20 years could be exciting but also more than a little traumatic, especially if you've raised a family there. But there's a good chance you're more well-adjusted that I am!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I would talk to the realtor thats going to be selling your place first. Let him steer you in which direction best to sell. We just put our home up for sale last week. All the things we wanted to change our realtor told us never mind. Anyone that buys your place will, most likely, tear out what you've done and redo to their liking.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 3/13/2015 Q4U said:

I've had tile, laminate flooring and real wood and hands-down love the real wood the best and it cleans and shines up far better than laminate.

We had an expansive downstairs in our old house and remodeled it with all laminate (was replacing almost the entire downstairs which had cream tile and cream grout {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}) We decided to have it installed at an angle so the long hallways would look shorter and the expansive area looked warmer. It was one of the best decisions we've made. It was incredible looking, went from our front door down to the family room, included another hallway, a bedroom, the kitchen and we had so many compliments on its layout! Only thing was that it was awful hard to keep nice and shiny until I found Rejuvinate for Laminate flooring and it's the best product out there. But it helped sell the house~!

Rejuvinate is good but there is one better.......Quick Shine, and best yet, you only have to use it maybe once a year.......................................raven

You only use it once a year even through high traffic areas?